Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measure angles and distances

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonaiko

Guys,

I need an electronic device that can measure an angle, and a distance between 2 points.

I am thinking of device that is returning me maybe a voltage or even resistance value to indicate the angle or the distance.

Would please help me?
Thank you.

sonaiko said:
Guys,

I need an electronic device that can measure an angle, and a distance between 2 points.

I am thinking of device that is returning me maybe a voltage or even resistance value to indicate the angle or the distance.

Would please help me?
Thank you.

What angular resolution and at what distance [range]?

The optical rangefinders used in WWI & II used a fixed and moving mirror to get range. The angular motion of the moving mirror gave the tangent function, where the near side is known (the baseline of the rangefinder, or distance between mirrors. Good out to 25,000 yards or so. Needs a really good geartrain, though.

j.p.bill said:
The optical rangefinders used in WWI & II used a fixed and moving mirror to get range. The angular motion of the moving mirror gave the tangent function, where the near side is known (the baseline of the rangefinder, or distance between mirrors. Good out to 25,000 yards or so. Needs a really good geartrain, though.

I was kinda hoping to find sth much much more smaller resolution. in milli-meters.

thank you.

sonaiko said:
I was kinda hoping to find sth much much more smaller resolution. in milli-meters.

thank you.

You state millimeters but not the minimum and maxium millimeter range. Could you state
0-xxx millimeter and then we might better help. What resolution (accuracy) are you looking for? What is the shortest distant you wish to be able to sense?

Very short ranges don't work well for time of flight type sensors.

Lefty

OK you're gonna have to drop the vaguarity and get straight to the details:
What is the application. That will say a lot of things- how fast, can you touch the target, is optical going to be applicable, etc.
How far off do you need to measure
How accurate do you need it to be
How advanced can this become- I mean a stereo camera and DSP system might do some neat things but probably a waste of time to discuss if you can't do anything like this.

It's probably worth mentioning that measuring distances is rarely a simple task. Ultrasonic works, a fairly advanced project though and is only applicable for large, flat targets at short to medium range, with a fairly limited accuracy. The optical parallax methods work but there's a lot of issues including getting the right hardware to do it, and the electronics may be relatively advanced.

Leftyretro said:
You state millimeters but not the minimum and maxium millimeter range. Could you state
0-xxx millimeter and then we might better help. What resolution (accuracy) are you looking for? What is the shortest distant you wish to be able to sense?

Very short ranges don't work well for time of flight type sensors.

Lefty

hmm, its up to 1 cm actually, maybe 2 on a worst case. so its a very small distance.

Maybe ill need a micrometer resolution?

thanx for ur help.

Oznog said:
OK you're gonna have to drop the vaguarity and get straight to the details:
What is the application. That will say a lot of things- how fast, can you touch the target, is optical going to be applicable, etc.
How far off do you need to measure
How accurate do you need it to be
How advanced can this become- I mean a stereo camera and DSP system might do some neat things but probably a waste of time to discuss if you can't do anything like this.

It's probably worth mentioning that measuring distances is rarely a simple task. Ultrasonic works, a fairly advanced project though and is only applicable for large, flat targets at short to medium range, with a fairly limited accuracy. The optical parallax methods work but there's a lot of issues including getting the right hardware to do it, and the electronics may be relatively advanced.

ok, let me start by stating price is not a problem. My goal is to have the idea and not pay less.
Optical or not optical it doesnt really matter. And yes I can touch the target fron any side I want.

Very very accurate. As accurate as possible, even if the price was higher.
Actually I was thinking of ur help to point me to already made system, not me creating one from scratch. I also need it to be as small as possible.

Thanx man uve been alot of help.

You still have not described your situation.

There are NO general purpose, off-the-shelf solutions in existance. There is no simple component that you can just plug in and get distance to any sort of object at any distance under any conditions at any angle in zero time, much less a highly accurate one.

I mean there are a multitude of 3D scanners, ultrasonic rangefinders, laser rangefinders, radar rangefinders, optical interruptors, machine vision, parallax sensing schemes... no idea what you might need. We don't know if you have something on a table and you need to measure 1000 pts on it within a 10 min timeframe or you want to measure liquid level in bottles running by at 10/sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back