Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MDK52V LCD Display, Pinouts/interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I just desoldered an MDK52V-O LCD Dipsplay from an IBM Memory Station. I would like to know the pinouts, and how to operate the thing. It does have a built on driver, and backlight. I have attached some pictures.

Attachments

• LCD_Back001.jpg
    LCD_Back001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,118
  • LCD_FRONT001.jpg
    LCD_FRONT001.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 977
Hi,

A quick search on google got this:

**broken link removed**

Its got the pinout, and looks to me to be a typical HD44780-type interface.
The website seems to use a USB interface, but of course a microcontroller would do just fine.

If its got 16-pins, then 15 and 16 will be the power for the backlight. If you don't know how to control it, there is a wealth of info about these types of LCDs (HD44780 equivilents).

Good Luck,

Blueteeth

I did google it, and i came up with nothing. Thanks, but i can't read japanese. :( Yes, it is 16 pins. 14 for the LCD, and 2 for the back light.

The controller is in fact an HD44780. So, will all of the pinouts be the same for all LCD's with the HD44780? I really want to start using this thing. it looks cool!

Hi,

The page is japanesse, but the pinout is given in english. Maybe your IE refused to view the page.

Pin 1 = GND
Pin 2 = +5V
Pin 3 = Contrast
Pin 4 = RS
Pin 5 = W/R
Pin 6 = E
Pin 7 = D0
Pin 8 = D1
Pin 9 = D2
Pin 10 = D3
Pin 11 = D4
Pin 12 = D5
Pin 13 = D6
Pin 14 = D7
Pin 15 = BL (dunno about polarity, experiment)
Pin 16 = BL

heh, turns out that is the standard pinout :D its just I've seen some HD44780 modules with different pins. If you haven't used this type of LCD before, its pretty easy, and as I said loads of info on google, whether you want to use it with a micro, or link it up to your PC with something like 'LCDsmartie'.

Regards,

Blueteeth

Where is pin 1 located? I have found a bunch of info on the controller, i just need to know where pin 1 is. Thanks!

Well, judgiung by the few character LCD's I've got here (the ones with the double row connector on the left) pin1 appears to be bottom right. With pin 2 on the bottom left. This is looking directly at the dispaly, not the backside!

So, as you lok at the back of it, with the connector on your left, pin one is top right, pin 2 top left etc.. I believe this is the standard pin configuration.

Hope this helps.

Blueteeth.

Ok, thanks. I will give it a try when i can make an adapter for the connector. Thanks! :)

Ok, now i feel silly. I looked at the connector, and on pin 1, it says "1", and on pin 14, it says "14" sorry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back