Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mastech Multimeters. Anyone use them before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked at a place a few summers ago as a large equipment service that sold Fluke meters.
I was given the choice of having any meter we sold. I took the $25 Mastech over all the fluke meters.
It did the most functions for the least cost, I would have needed three Flukes totaling around $1000 to do all the same functions, and going by what our sales dept said by the numbers the cheapo Mastech's had the least number of returns while under warranty.

I don't recall the exact numbers but the Mastech had something like one return out of several dozen that year while the new Flukes where pushing at least one in ten coming back for buggy operation or locking up before their warranties where up. :(

That and if you're a service tech and you leave a $25 meter behind you don't get chewed on like when a $400 Fluke meter goes missing! :p

Granted I am no longer in the equipment service sect as much any more but when I was I saw a very convincing trend of the guys who knew what they where doing either had old Flukes or new meters by anyone else but Fluke.

The quality they have now just doesn't justify the price for many being that there are countless big name world wide meter manufacturers packing far more functions into their meters for far less while still matching or exceeding Fluke on their specs and warranties.

Sorry but I for one just don't like paying for has been name brand gear.

Like Dremel....

Their Mototools are not meant to last anymore.. Dremels used to last forever....Not anymore. I bought a basic Drill @ 20000 RPM around a Year ago.....it bombed out within six Months. With very little work. Agent replaced the Armiture under Warranty....

Now it is unbalanced. You can feel it when working with fine stuff.

Jacky

:p

Used to beat my 12+ year old dremel several times a week sharpening .404 pitch chainsaw chains with carbide burrs and it has yet to even hiccup.

Hi again,

I've also used Dremel for many years, many around 40 years or so. My old one was smaller and had an open winding, but still worked. It just got too hot. The new one is bigger but i've had that for almost 20 years now too.
We've used a lamp dimmer on a non variable speed model too and it worked pretty well.
I have often needed more power than the Dremel can offer however, so was thinking of going to a full scale die grinder. I'd want to use attachments for the Dremel with it though and they are 1/8 inch and the die grinder is 1/4 inch. Any ideas there?

Jacky:
Did you ever try an angle attachment? They help a bit there.

Hi again,
I'd want to use attachments for the Dremel with it though and they are 1/8 inch and the die grinder is 1/4 inch. Any ideas there?

My Series 10 Dumore has a nice little collet insert for 1/8" cutters and points. If I am doing important grinding, I much prefer it over the Dremel. Unfortunately, it is not variable speed. Like you, I have used Dremel for many years. I still have a Dremel scroll saw/jig say from about 60 years ago.

One thing I do like about the new Dremel hand tools is the on/off switch is separate form the speed switch. I have not had mine long enough yet to judge whether it will last 60 years.

John

I have not had mine long enough yet to judge whether it will last 60 years.

Will you last another 60 years to find out? :confused:

I might but the odds are if I get there I will be looking like I should have been sent to the scrap pile/trash heap a few decades earlier! :p

Hi again,

Jacky:
The angle attachment is great. It helps quite a bit to each into places that are hard to get at, and also it helps with the leverage of the tool when holding it with one hand.

jpanhalt:
How big is that "Dumore" tool? Is it a regular die grinder or something like that with a lot of power?
One problem i did foresee was that maybe it would be too hard to handle with only one hand, which we can do easily with the Dremel. But sometimes the extra power is really needed.
For speed control if the device has brushes (and it most likely does) you can try a regular lamp dimmer. Not one of the old fashion 'diac' based dimmers but a newer model with all electronic control. They use a triac triggered by a simple uC controller that can turn down to very low. That works with many brush tools. Or you could build your own with a triac and relatively simple control circuit. I did this a long time ago for a large hand grinder which required at least 10 amps at full speed. It wasnt even a uC based just an LM358 and some other parts.

The Dumore series 10 has been around forever, practically speaking. It is a standard die grinder. I typically use it with one hand. You could also use two hands. Its advantage is plenty of power and smooth running. You will not get the same vibration and run-out problems that you get with Dremel, particularly when using larger stones. As for controlling speed of the Dumore, I know how to do it, but have never really needed to, except once. Last Summer I was using a long (3 to 4") point to reach a spot in a difficult place. It got out of balance real easily.

If you need something with more power than a Dremel, but about the same size, I would recommend an air-powered die grinder.

John

Hi again,

I mention the speed controller also because some of the smaller bits made for Dremel or similar may be limited to speeds of 10000rpm or less unlike some made just for Dremel. I'd definitely want one if i got that kind of tool.

The die grinders i have seen are about twice as big as a Dremel though.

So where do you think i could pick up a collet to use 1/8 inch shank tools with the 1/4 inch collet of the die grinders?

Last edited:
MSC, Production Tool Supply, J&L(now part of MSC), or any commercial tool supply company for metal working should be able to order the reducing collet. It looks just like the normal collet and fits the same spindle. It just has a 1/8" hole instead of a 1/4" hole.

Here is the MSC link: **broken link removed**

0900085-23.jpg

John

Hello again John,

Oh yes thanks. That looks like it. I suppose that would fit in any 1/4 inch die grinder right?
I have most experience with the smaller Dremels so this is all new to me.

Not sure it will fit all 1/4" grinders. The outer diameter of the collet and the inner diameter of the spindle need to be pretty close. You might be able to use the retaining nut on the grinder to which you are fitting the collet. If the collet shank is too big, it might be turned down. Just be sure you have an accurate 1/8 dia. pin in the collet. It may also have a slight taper -- I have never measured mine.

I will be at the farm tomorrow, if it doesn't snow too much and can measure the collet then. If you have a HF or other made in China tool, the chances it will fit probably improve. The copies are pretty faithful for part sizes.

John

Hello again John,

Well thanks much the dimensions would be interesting to think about. And yes i suppose i will be using 1/8 inch shanks and also with a speed control so i can turn it up slowly and check for radical unbalance.

I also recently found a bit kit like those for the Dremel but they have 1/4 inch shanks. They look pretty nice, much bigger and stronger than the tiny Dremel things. More expensive but much more solid looking. I use the cutters the most, like the 'tree' shape cutters and the 'barrel' shape cutters. Also love the fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels.

Thanks again :)

OK, here are the dimensions (inches). It has been so long since I used it, that I had forgotten exactly how it fit.

In brief, if the nut on the end of your spindle will clear 5/16" , I believe it will work for you. It simply fits in the 1/4" spindle collet as an ordinary 1/4" bit would fit. The shoulder keeps it from falling into the collet, and tightening is by the collet pressing on the leaves of the adapter.

Overall length: 0.75
Body diameter: 0.249
Lip diameter: 0.311 to 0.314 (apparently it springs open a little when it is slotted)
Lip width: 0.068

Good luck.

John

Hi,

Thanks John. Very kind of you to supply that jnfo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back