Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mastech Multimeters. Anyone use them before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
Well my trusty rusty beat up beat on Metex and my equally abused Wavetek are getting glitchy after 15+ years of wear and tear and I am looking to upgrade.

I am leaning toward trying out the higher end Mastech units but am curious as to if anyone has had any longer term use with them and how they would rate them.

Here is what I am looking at.

MS8265 19999 count multimeter **broken link removed**
https://www.goodluckbuy.com/mastech-ms8265-4-1-2-autorange-digital-multimeter.html

MS8218 50000 count multimeter **broken link removed**
https://www.goodluckbuy.com/mastech-ms8218-high-accuracy-50000-counts-dmm.html

MS3302 AC/DC Current clamp **broken link removed**
https://www.goodluckbuy.com/mastech-ms3302-clamp-meter-ac-dc-true-rms-transducer.html

Any thoughts or experiences with their products?

Just so you should know Fluke can kiss my big hairy butt.:p

Last edited:
Any thoughts or experiences with their products?

I've been using their very basic unit M830BZ for two years and found extremely reliable :) and I'd appreciate their excellent build quality too. I'm sure those are great products and you won't get disappointed. Mine is very cheap(cheapest model). 8$ :p

I have seen a couple of service techs and contractors with them over the last few years that thought they held up well but I never really looked closely at them myself until now.

I just ordered the MS8265 and the MS3302 AC/DC amp clamp so in a few weeks I can probably give a review of them myself.:)

The MS8218 is probably going to be my birthday present to myself this summer. :D

I bought one of these for my students to use and they haven't blown it up yet, although they have blown a bunch of fuses for the current function. Multimeter Model MY 64
I've had the meter for 4 years. Best $32 I ever spent for the classroom.

When you take it apart to change the fuse you can see the Mastech name on the circuit board.

I have one, forget exactly which model. I've used it for nearly a decade now without any problems at all. I feel it was a real good buy at only $50.

EDIT: Model MAS-344

Last edited:
I got my shipment tracking conformation email today so now I just have to wait the typical 3 - 4 weeks for it to get here. :D

I hope everybody is right about their quality! ;)

Its here! :D

Back lit screen and the sockets light up if the leads are not pushed in all the way plus you don't have to take the whole case apart to change the battery or fuse either! :D

Now to go and run it through its paces!

Hi,

I'd like to hear more about this too. I have the MS8050 bench meter and one of their high current power supplies.
I liked the 1uv resolution most.

Well so far its a great meter! :)
The back lighting on the display and the lead sockets is way cool to use in the dark and the 4 1/2 digit display is top notch on clarity and contrast too.
It has a nice rugged feel to it and a thick protective rubber outer shell to protect it from being dropped too. Its rated at 1000v Cat II and 600v Cat III. :)

Bang for the buck wise at this point I would highly recommend it for a primary usage extended function multi meter. :)

The only down side is the MS3302 AC/DC clamp meter is actually only an AC clamp meter but I can live with that. Still seems to be well built and accurate though.

Last edited:
Hi,

I know this is an older thread now but i'd like to check in again and see if anyone else is using these Mastech meters lately and what your experience has been so far.

Been using my MS8265 regularly for a year now and so far it meets all of my expectations and then some! ;)

I would say it beats my other meters at least 2:1 or better on battery life! It's been left in the rain twice hot vehicles too many times to count and has worked just fine out in the cold at -20 F without problems as well.

Only down side I have seen so far it it gets a bit buggy, segment jitters, on the display when working with AC voltages around the top end 1000 volt limit.

Still give mine a A+ over all one year after purchase. :D

Last edited:
Hi there tcmtech,

Thanks for the info there. I say this not only for the general info but guess what, i have my eye on that very model as a possible next meter for my own personal use. That's because of the 'extra' digits it has. My bench meter by Mastech is pretty nice, but of course it cant be carried around or moved around without unplugging and plugging back in etc. So i thought that MS8265 would be a good deal because it seems to be priced pretty good for the number of digits it has (4 and 1/2 digits).
I just picked up one of their current clamp meters recently too for AC/DC current for tests on the automobile.
I've also read now that they are one of the biggest manufacturers of test equipment in the world.

So let me ask you, how do you like working with a meter with that extra digit as it has 4.5 where many meters only have 3.5, does it work the way you like it too and do you have a definite use for the extra precision or just like it in general?

Also, does it "beep" for any reason as many Mastech's seem to do when indicating something?

Last edited:
It beeps if you have the leads plugged in wrong or have it on the wrong setting. The continuity function beeps too.

All around I like the extra digit for the occasional precision work. Granted its probably more a bragging point than an absolute necessity but still I like having it!

Yea I looked into Mastech before buying as well and yes they are a very large and well known manufacture world wide. They are by no means cheap Chinese junk! Good warranty, good reputation, and good proven specs. :D

As I said I have had mine for over a year now and have abused it thoroughly and it still working like new!

When my next old meter gives out it will probably be replaced by another Mastech.

In one word. "autoranging". Only Fluke does that. Meter user interface is clean, uncomplicated and idiot proof. Cost a lot of money but last forever. Had my 75 for around 28 Years now. And still going strong.

Jacky

In one word. "autoranging". Only Fluke does that. Meter user interface is clean, uncomplicated and idiot proof.

That's because everyone else that makes meters assumes their customer base knows enough about what they are working on to be able to set their meter to the right function and range the first time. :rolleyes:

Granted them figuring their customer base are all idiots would explain how they can charge 10x or more for a basic function multimeter as anyone else. :p

Hi,

I actually prefer a meter without auto ranging, or auto ranging with manual override is good too.

But both my Mastech's have auto ranging. The clamp meter has auto ranging current and voltage with manual override, and so does the big Mastech bench meter. If this new meter we were talking about MS8265 doesnt have auto ranging however that would not bother me one bit as long as i get reasonable stability in the readings even in the last digit.

Never been a fan of auto ranging either. I always considered it a option for people who don't know what they are looking at to begin with. :rolleyes:

As far as Fluke goes I think they have been mostly riding on the past name and quality for around 20 years now. :(

Old Fluke meters seem to last forever. The new ones don't. :(

tcmtech;1115924\ As far as Fluke goes I think they have been mostly riding on the past name and quality for around 20 years now. :( Old Fluke meters seem to last forever. The new ones don't. :([/QUOTE said:
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I am learning here.

Jacky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back