Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making PCB's /w Transparencies - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie086

hey

just bought a kit from mg chemicals (from what i hear there the best to get your pcb making materials from) and i have a question..

Is a UV light set required or would it be possible to just leave a transparency /w glass covering out in the sun? or does it take very very direct uv light in order to work?

just wondering because it would be nice if you could do it without having to spend the money on the uv lights, but im not sure because ive never made my own pcbs before..

any additional tips are appricated!

richie

Hi Richie,

The short answer is 'Yes', the sun is actually a good tool for doing this job. However, the UV index for the day should be quite high and you should try to face the board directly to the sun.

You will need to experiment with exposure times, which will be variable everytime. This is why buying the UV light is better, because you can predict exactly how long it will take to get the job done. The sun is a good source though, since it is fairly collimated (2 degrees)..

I am actually working on a secret exposure unit and will be done in a few months.. I will let everyone know after I decide whether or not to get it patented.

Regards,

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back