Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making Hydrogen

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best electrode would be carbon rods, you can get them at most welding supply stores for a few dollars. Though some do not sell in small quantities. Welding supply stores are actually pretty common, you just dont notice them around if you aren't looking for one. They are highly conductive and they do not corrode or get electroplated with minerals like most metals will. You get a lot more bubbles for the same amount of power.

Cheapo cheapo alkaline batteries still have small carbon rods..

Uh-huh. Care to name a brand? Why don't you cut a few open yourself before you go telling people that?

I remember as a kid people who knew NOTHING about it, who NEVER opened a battery themselves would always tell me "Oh, there'a a carbon rod in a battery".

After going through the difficult, dangerous proceedure of ripping a metal-cased battery filled with caustic chemicals apart, guess what? No carbon rod.

Then the next day another idiot would tell me "Oh, there'a a carbon rod in a battery".

Last edited:
Oops, my bad.. Obviously non-alkaline batteries.. Carbon-Zinc aren't as common as they were, but most dollar stores still carry them.. The ones I used recently weren't brand labelled very clearly.. They're metallic blue, and read HEAVY DUTY in big letters.. I see them alot actually.. HW brand can yield carbon too, or atleast they did last year.. Sorry I don't take note of serial numbers obviously.. Just google ["carbon-zinc" battery].. You'll get links that sell them, and links that yield info on brands that may not make it obvious on the packages in stores.. Really isn't that tough to find a source.. Cheapo brands are your best bet, but you're right they have been moving away from them for a while..
And most of us work with the same caustic chemicals when we solder anyways.. General rule of thumb, if you find zinc instead of carbon, that type isn't what you want..

Last edited:
Ok so you have a carbon rod to bubbly your HHO, it doesn't change the fact it takes much more energy to make the Hydrogen then you get from burning it.

Another good source from batteries of carbon rod is the good old 6volt lantern battery. (In the states you can find them almost at any store) They have 4 nice ones in them, and can be used for various other electrolysis projects/experiments.

Last edited:
I wasn't saying an old bettery defies the conservation principle.. I just mentioned that because sometimes itty bitty pieces of carbon are nice to have, but not worth a special trip..

Another good source from batteries of carbon rod is the good old 6volt lantern battery.

Here we go again. Not in an alkaline lantern battery, and before you send people prying open metal cases to dig through dangerous caustic materials, you MIGHT point to a more specific battery than "good old".

Yes, if you want to harvest carbon from a battery then you need a battery that contains carbon.. I mistyped when I first posted that, caught/corrected it when you challenged batteries as a source in general, so by now I think it should be more clear than ever..
There are still alot of carbon-zinc batteries on the market though.. They're sticking around alot more than I would have expected them to years ago.. (And I'm glad)

OK but your wrong about one thing, if you can get some high quality threaded stainless steel 1/4 inch rods you will not be able to beat them.
Carbon is coal right? geeeez just looked them up 2 1/4 by 1/4 inch rods are $55.00 each man no wonder they arent in batteries. guy says they are calling them carbon rods but they are really graphite. Think I'll stick to me stainless.

Too late Im already disapointed
Wonder if you can use alchohole as an electrolite...that would cure the freezing problem with hydrogen boosters in the winter time.
Anyone out there know if alchole is an acid?

Im going to tell you once more YOU ARE WRONG !!!!!!! OK Let me make it simple for you my car used to get 470 Km on a tank I get 630 km with the booster thats one third more now explain to me what the hell electricity has to do with it...ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back