Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making a simple bass Guitar Amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FranklinR said:
i needed a simple circuit of a bass guitar amp. pl. help me out with this.
Thank u

You need to have some specs. How many watts into what load impedance? That would be a start.

loads of guitar amp specs **broken link removed**

That old amp circuit gives only about 40W into 8 ohms which isn't much for a bass guitar amp. Make a better amp that gives at least 120W.

... as well as connecting it to the proper speaker to make it sound good. Cabinet design and speaket size/type make a real audible difference.... if you're going to do it up right.

audioguru said:
That old amp circuit gives only about 40W into 8 ohms which isn't much for a bass guitar amp. Make a better amp that gives at least 120W.
Or build two (taking care to uprate the transistors of course) and bridge them.

Hero999 said:
Or build two (taking care to uprate the transistors of course) and bridge them.

Well that's a really crappy design to start with, not really worth bridging them!. But there are plenty of suitable power amp circuits about, most far better than that one!.

He's been somewhat quiet, so we don't really now what he's looking for?, a 40W transistor bass amp is too small to gig with, and too big for a bedroom practice amp. But for a preamp there's a popular one at **broken link removed**. I keep meaning to build one, just to see how it sounds - it's certainly simple enough, and could easily be built as a modular project - with the three FET's on one board (and fully useable), and the opamps on another as an upgrade.

Isn't the "warm" sound of valves produced from their even-harmonics distortion? Then shouldn't only a single valve or FET be used in this preamp? It seems that a single one causes compression of one-half of the waveform which creates the even-harmonics distortion, then adding an inverting stage compresses the other half of the waveform creating odd-harmonics distortion that is not wanted.

To be honest, I'm incredibly uninterested in the supposed 'valve sound', I prefer a bass to sound like a bass - this looks like a simple little preamp that would be easy to build. Using FET's of course gives it a nice high input impedance suitable for matching a passive guitar.

I wouldn't worry about multiple stages, every valve amplifier you see uses multiple stages - as I see it most of the 'valve sound' comes from heavy clipping of the push-pull output stage, which is comon for heavy metal and rock music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back