Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make my alarmclock work on batteries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckan

Hey! Im really new to all of these things and my english is not the best, especially not when it comes to electronics. So please bare with me! And im sorry if there exist any other thread like this but i just can't understand and connect it with my case!

I have an alarm clock from Sony (model no. ICF-C115) that is currently plugged into the mains electricity. It has space for backup battery to keep the time for a little while if it would be a powercut. I mean it just keeps the settings. Its a 9V battery. What im wondering is simply if there is any possibilities that i can make this run on the backup battery?

This is what it says on the back of the clock:
Sony
Model no. ICF-115
AC: 230V ~ 50Hz 5w
POWER BACK UP FOR THE CLOCK
DC: 9V (and the symbol for DC) 6F22

Like i said, i dont know much about this, so if there is something you dont understand, ask and i will do my best to answer!

Thank you!

Yes, it won't be "simple" but it's pretty straight forward. You will need to figure out what voltage the clock's insides use and then regulate the 9V to that (taping off the 9V of course). I wouldnt suggest it, up to you though, your clock. The 9V battery would probably last a day or two if its a cheap one.

Go get a UPS like you would use for a computer. Since the clock only draws 5W, even small UPS's should power it for quite some time.

Hmm Well since i dont know that much about it, maybe i should skip it. And if the battery wouldn't last long either, i mean more than a day or two then yeah, i guess there is no idea! Well thanks anyway!

Okay please dont kill me now! But UPS is?

EDIT: okay, i read about it now, but doesn't they coast a lot? and are they not big?

Last edited:
The main problem is the amount of power the LED display takes. That's why the backup battery only maintains the internal time and doesn't light the display.

If you wanted to use a battery and have it operate for a significant length of time you would likely need a very large battery such as an automobile lead-acid battery.

Usually battery operated digital clocks use LCD non-illuminated displays which require very little power.

So what you're saying is, that if i want it to "last longer" on battery, i should change the LED-display?

because this display is indeed very bright (i can almost use it as a normal lamp).

So what you're saying is, that if i want it to "last longer" on battery, i should change the LED-display?

because this display is indeed very bright (i can almost use it as a normal lamp).
But it's not easy to change a display. LCD displays require completely different drive signals as compared to an LED display.

It would be a lot easier ( and probably cheaper) just to buy a battery operated alarm clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back