Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make money from home w/ electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag

I know there are people with a lot of good ideas here so I thought I'd ask for any thoughts on this. I'm an electronics graduate but I'm chronically unwell and basically housebound. I was tying to think of a way to use my knowledge and low cost equipment to generate some sort of income for myself. I was thinking along the lines of designing/constructing niche guitar effects and selling via ebay to guitar enthusiast groups. Obviously we'd all like to make more money and I'm sure you've had ideas or experience in doing construction and selling via ebay etc and I'd totally appreciate if anyone would like to share their experience.

ag

use my knowledge and low cost equipment to generate some sort of income for myself

Get customers, and word of mouth is probably the best way. They don't care what you know as long as your stuff works.

If you charge too little they think your stuff is worthless, and if you charge too much you will also have low income.

Make something and post a photo; otherwise they think your stuff is all in theory.

Some few customers will try to manipulate you; detecting these types comes with experience.

You deliver a product with certain specs in exchange for money; you cannot guarantee satisfaction.

You should look up "implied merchantability."

Hi ag,

I suggest to start out with a minimum of of small to medium devices (not physical size but functions), say 10, to offer either as ready-to-go circuit or as a kit.

I wouldn't use ebay to sell my products. Altough ebay takes care of proper business (payment and delivery) the amount of money you have to pay for the service is probably too high for the beginning.

For marketing I suggest use banner advertising, which you might get at low prices, and make up an own website offering your devices.

Don't forget to make your general business conditions public before you go to sale. That way you can cut off unqualified complaints. (Sorry, can't formulate better) It means exact terms of warranty and exemptions for it. Don't forget any major point. Otherwise you might be confronted with the claim to replace an inadvertantly destroyed device. (Anything not covered by conditions means unrestricted warranty)

Depending on your location you might also throw in newspaper advertising from time to time. (don't do newspaper advertising if your city's population is below 100,000. It's pure waste of money.)

From my personal experience I suggest to also offer different payment methods, including an internet payment system like PayPal or Click&Buy. For me (having no plastic money = Credit card) it is difficult to purchase certain things via the internet.

Kind regards and luck for establishment of your business.

Hans

edited for typos

Last edited:
I don't have any experience in this area, but I just wanted to wish you luck and if there's anything that you need which *is* within my experience/abilities/time constraints, I'll try to help.

Torben

EDN did an excellent discussion about "How to start your own electronic kit business" a great article I have ever read.

I learned many things from it & I got great results.

Here it is go through it.It will be very useful to you.

**broken link removed**

The thing that caught my eye is that you want to do "niche guitar effects".

I would do two things. Find good musicians willing to use you kits. You may have to give them away for a while. Then setup a website with audio/video of the units in action.

However I do not know how large the market is for such kits. Maybe best to have assembled and tested as an option.

hi ag,

I'm an electronics graduate but I'm chronically unwell and basically housebound.

The first that comes to mind is that you are going to need backup from a friend or partner, if you intend running a business.

Even if you sell on eBay, you need someone to do the running around, its Post Office intensive.
Also on the days you don't feel upto it, the other person can keep things moving.

Working for yourself is the way to go and its possible to make money doing it.

So Good Luck in starting the new venture..:)

We started with one single inverter assembly kit.

Well its possible. I sell inverters and automatic water level controllers to people near me for a rate 20% less than the branded ones here but with quality matching to it. Now i got 2 dealers to give me bulk orders.

Now we are palling to make energy saving lighting products.

All the best..

We started with one single inverter assembly kit.

Well its possible. I sell inverters and automatic water level controllers to people near me for a rate 20% less than the branded ones here but with quality matching to it. Now i got 2 dealers to give me bulk orders.

Now we are palling to make energy saving lighting products.

All the best..

I once thought about that. 10 - 15 years ago, inverters were outrageously expensive. When I looked in them, I didn't see why they would be so. Now, it's sort of the same thing with car audio, though I think that market has passed it's peak. Also, I remember a thread about a PIC with functions pre-programmed into them. That sounds ideal for someone who is good at programming.

Last edited:
I turn the odd coin retrofitting desk lamps with LEDs for the source of illumination and have used the same system for decorative 'under cupboard' lighting in kitchens.

Adding a PIR sensor for user satisfaction and a little high tech 'wow' factor (which is reflected in the price ;))..if its dark and you go into the kitchen the under cupboard lights come on, allowing you to find what you want quickly and safely. Great for midnight snackers and bleary eyed mornings when the last thing you need is bright light.

Well i ddin't go behind any programming.. there are few ICs that come pre-programmed (easy to get in the market). For me the whole kit cost less than 25$ per price and i sell it for $100-$200 depending on the power it can deliver.

Automatic Water level controller less than $5 for production and i sell them for $25...

I don't think its too hard..

If you have a good idea , which you believe to be something that will solve your customers problem... you can sell it without sweating.. for what i have learned.. even if the stuff has nothing in it, it should look stylish..

Let me know if i can help you with anything. (should be within my limits :D)

Last edited:
hey don't mind if I ask for some help here.

They way i make products is - someone come to me saying that he need a particular product that can fulfill his need - I make 3 of 4 of them and if see it moving without issues - i produce them in bulk.

I am getting limited ideas - everyone here have some really good ideas.
If you are willing to share please add your ideas here. It might help me.

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back