Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

make a large switch out of a rubber mat

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjel

I want to make a rubber mat (2ft x 2ft) into a foot activated switch.

i.e. if you step on it the switch closes.

I will also be embedding leds into this mat that will be controlled by a uC that also processes the switch input.

This mat needs to be durable so you could jump on it and it won't break.

Also although it is large it would be great if you could step anywhere on the mat and it would still trigger.

My first instinct is to do the following:

glue two rubber mats together and put an array of piezo sensors sandwiched in between them. The piezo elements would have to have their signals processed to generate a distinct pulse or their values could be read by an adc (or both).

I am wondering if there is perhaps a simpler solution?

How about a mat containing a thin sealed bladder. Step on it, and that raises the internal pressure of the gas (air) in the sealed volume. A single pressure sensor in one corner could detect a footfall anywhere on the mat.

that's an interesting idea.

Now I am wondering if maybe I can make this a giant capacitive touch sensor?

Attachments

• AAAimage01.gif
    AAAimage01.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
hi danjel,
You can buy from Maplins, floor pressure mats, two sizes, one for passage ways and another for stairway use.

They are not expensive and they last for years when placed under a carpet.

nice!!! that looks like an ideal solution.

I was just thinking about something like this to try to make a custom DDR mat. The store ones wear out too quick. Some peoples projects of that type use foam rubber separating thin copper strips, I didn't choose that option because it looked too flimsy and unreliable, but it may work for your project. The air bladder thing woulden't work for mine becasue its too slow, but speed may not be a concern in your case.

Last edited:
Top layer 1 = rubber mat
layer 2 = foil
layer 3 = polyureathane foam
layer 4 = steel or ali

Use this 'capacitor' in an oscillator. Charge pump. Comparator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back