Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Ok i dont know anything about this wire but i own some lol

Can i use it as general purpose wire? Like can i solder it and have it around othre wire without a issue? It seems to have a enamel or something over it.

Would it be fine to use as normal wire (LOW VOLTAGE)

You can solder it but you will have to scrape off the coating. I would not trust the coating as an insulator around anything that could potentially conduct electricity though. It is not like regular insulation on other wire.

ok cool

i have a SMD IC but its way to small and i have no adapter. I want to solder some wires straight to it but this is the smallest wire i have. Do you think it would be ok for something like that?

Soldering wire to an SMD is rather tricky. You need a low power, pointed tip iron, and a steady hand. Be sure and tin the lead first and put a little rosin flux on the wire and SMD lead before soldering.

Soldering wire to an SMD is rather tricky. You need a low power, pointed tip iron, and a steady hand. Be sure and tin the lead first and put a little rosin flux on the wire and SMD lead before soldering.
I have seen pictures of Atom's work, I think he is capable, but that is a good tip for all the rest.

heh thanks for the tip Carl and thanks for the confidence Mike :D

I always do tin the wire and flux well. You will love my idea for flux and brush lol My wife hates it but i love it.

I took a old nail polish of hers and cleaned it out. Then i placed flux i the container and cleaned the brush thing (aka the top) and now i have a handy flux and flux applier lol

Try it out. Just empty it out in toilet or sink and then use some nail polish remover (Acetone) to clean out the bottle and brush and your set. Acetone dries fast in the open so just let site for about 15 min when your done.

Last edited:
By the way, don't try to scrape the insulation off, burn it off. Use a pair of plyers as a heat stop and just pass it through a lighter or butane torch a couple times. Just be careful wire that thin will actually burn pretty easily. Wipe the residue away with a cloth.

You can solder it but you will have to scrape off the coating. I would not trust the coating as an insulator around anything that could potentially conduct electricity though. It is not like regular insulation on other wire.

I disagree about not trusting it, enameled coated magnet wire is what every motor and transformer uses and the insulation and temperature requirements for those applications makes it a proven and reliable wire.

Lefty

Last edited:
I use **broken link removed** for point to point wiring on breadboards. It can be soldered directly with a 750degF soldering iron without stripping it first. The insulation is very tough, and is not damaged with just a touch of the soldering iron like that mickey-mouse thermoplastic tie-wrap wire... It will not short just crossing another wire. Think transformer winding...

Last edited:
I disagree about not trusting it, enameled coated magnet wire is what every motor and transformer uses and the insulation and temperature requirements for those applications makes it a proven and reliable wire.

Lefty

You still need to test for shorts after winding a motor or transformer. Then they are varnished and baked. Using this type of wire for general purpose wiring applications can put stress cracks in the coating. Treating it as bare wire is a good precaution to take considering the use in this application, don't you think?

Last edited:
"Treating it as bare wire is a good precaution to take considering the use in this application, don't you think?"

I've always treated like any other insulated wire and have had no problems with magnet wire in the past. However precautions are always useful, but most of my errors with insulated wire have to do with landing it at the wrong place.

Lefty

...Treating it as bare wire is a good precaution to take considering the use in this application, don't you think?

No, its tough as nails, and 100 times better than wire-wrap wire...

I have to agree with MikeMI the good enameled copper motor and transformer wire take an impressive amount of abuse before it breaks. I wish I could get my vehicles clear coated with paint that is that durable!

I often do specialty windings for stuff and I regularly use my Dremel with a medium grit grinding wheel to take the enamel off 18 gauge and larger wires. Smaller stuff I can burn off with my big buzz gun easy enough.

Enamel is not known for it's ability to flex repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back