Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

magnet theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys alot for helping me out

Whats inside a magnet?
Because there is so many different kinds of magnets and mixtures
the mixing process of making a magnet is a form of chemistry
so im wondering what these elements or materials do

Magnet Theory:
All a magnet does is generate a magnetic field with a fixed flux

Magnetic Field and Flux are they same thing?

ferromagnetism is inside the magnet?
The ferromagnetism is the Flux?

how does the current get amplified from a magnet and coil or wire?

"Harmonic theory is used to calculate the resonant freq"

How does a guitar pickup or a magnet with a coil have a resonant frequency or harmonic theory? what causes it to have a resonant frequency or harmonic theory?

The small current from a magnet and coil is amplified by a preamp circuit.

The combination of a coil's inductance and its capacitance (plus external capacitance) is a resonant parallel tuned LC circuit.

But how does it form or get a small current from a magnet and a coil?

From just changing the Flux of the magnet it processes current?

The a Magnet is a Current generator?
But the output of a Guitar pickup is Voltage like mV so a guitar pickup is
a voltage generator?

walters said:

From just changing the Flux of the magnet it processes current?

But the output of a Guitar pickup is Voltage like mV so a guitar pickup is
a voltage generator?

Think of a guitar as a generator. REmeber how I said a electric guitar was like a linear-machine.

Say the strings are like the rotor moving and the stator is the pickup and the magnet provides the exitation flux.

As you put mechanical energy into the strings, this is transformed into electrical energy in the stator (ie the pickup)

it is an extrealy small amount of current, but it is enough for a dedicated electrical amplifier to work with

Also remebver that a resistor is a simple current->voltage converter, but that wont be what is being used

Thanks for the help

resistor is a simple current->voltage converter, but that wont be what is being used

Can u explain more about how a resistor generates current and converts it to voltage?

I'm still confussed what a "harmonic oscillator" is when dealing with magnets and coils?

i'm still confussed what "ferromagnetism" is when dealing with magnets and coils?

walters said:
Thanks for the help

resistor is a simple current->voltage converter, but that wont be what is being used

Can u explain more about how a resistor generates current and converts it to voltage?

I'm still confussed what a "harmonic oscillator" is when dealing with magnets and coils?

i'm still confussed what "ferromagnetism" is when dealing with magnets and coils?

:shock:

Err the resistor doesn't generate current, the pickup generates the current as has already been explained. IF the pickup was "loaded" with a resistor, that current would have been converted into a voltage by the resistor to satify good-old OHM's law.

But as I said they wouldn't do that, some form of trans-impedance amplifier (but thats for photo-diodes???).

What are you confused with abt "harmonic oscillator" is when dealing with magnets and coils?

Equally "ferromagnetism" is when dealing with magnets and coils?
ferrous materials (ie ones with Iron in them) have the ability to enhance magnetic field by essensially acting as flux-guides. How do they do that?
The greatest mides on this planet for since magentism was first discovered until now dont fully understand why.

You get a coil and pass some current through it a magnetic field is produced (why? downto the electrons moving, the coil just concentrats them). Now that field goes everywhere. IF you put a piece of soft-iron in the core it acts as a flux-guid and concentrates all the flux down it

Thanks for the help

Are ferromagnetism a flux or magnetic field
what is a Ferromagnetism?
I thought ferromagnetism was inside a magnet

What is a harmonic oscillator? is it a flux or magnet field?
Where is a harmonic oscillator is it inside a magnet ?
What does a harmonic oscillator do?

walters said:
Study about magnetic transducers and generators.

No! The combination of a magnet inside a coil makes the coil a generator when the magnetic field is disturbed.

But the output of a Guitar pickup is Voltage like mV so a guitar pickup is a voltage generator?
When the current flows through a load, a voltage is developed across the load. Ohm's Law.

Thanks alot for the information

Why does it Take a resistor or Load to convert current to voltage?

How does a resistor or Load convert current to voltage?
mostly a resistor need a ground to convert current to voltage
or a potential difference between - and +

Without resistors it would be just current and no voltage drops
without resistors there would be nothing to convert current to voltage

walters said:
Thanks alot for the information

:shock: is electronic really for you. I do believe on this forum we have gone over OHM's law with you umpteen times

Without a resistor no current could flow, it would be an open-cct and only a voltage would be developed across the windings

Why does it take a Resistor to have current to flow?

I thought a resistor was just a piece of wire with opposition

I can understand the opposition part of a resistor but i don't understand
about how it converts current into voltage

A resistor is a voltage and current opposition

If i put 1ma of current into a resistor , the resistor is opposition
the current

But if i put in 1ma of current into a resistor it converts 1ma into voltage
thats i don't get sorry

yes i know ohms law but im trying to understand how the resistor works inside and how it converts current into voltage without using ohms law just to understand the theory and function of the resistor

in "opposing" the current it produces a voltage across it

walters, sometimes it is best just to accept

Like in this case just accept when current flows through a resistor a voltage will be developed across it

Equally accept that ferrous materials are magnetic

Why do these things happen? well that is for physists and not electronic hobbist. if you want ot find out you can

walters said:

Study Ohm's Law.

Everything has a resistance! A voltmeter or preamp's input has a resistance.

Thanks for the help

in "opposing" the current it produces a voltage across it

See that seems weird i understand about the opposing the current part but how does it produes a voltage across from just opposing currrent a resistor inside is just a piece of wire and other materials

I can understand if the resistor just opposed the current but the resistor opposing the current and at the same time it creates or produces a voltage across it how is it the other materials inside the resistor that does this?

ferromagnetism

Ferromagnetism are atoms that produce a magnet or magnetism
ferromagnetism form a fixed flux and a magnetic field

ok me saying "in opposing current a voltage is developed" isnt really true

it is a way of looking at a situation that is only valid if viewed that way. IF you use that arguement outside the region it was formed it, it is broken.

Current flows because the existance of voltage, not the other way round.
You can never had current without voltage. BUT you can have voltage without current (doesn't mean you can measure it)

IF you left the coils of the winding open then a voltage would be developed. now if you were to just use that voltage as the input to an OPAMP (OPAMP with extreamly high input impedance) then you would get negliable current flowing.

However, the guitar would not soud good, it needs some current to flow to get the magentic core to a flux density so it sounds correct. Thus some form of load to allow current to flow is added

I thought this forum is to discuss electronic circuits, not high school physics and chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back