Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magic Home led controller component identification help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaJoeUK

Hi all I am new to the electronics hobby but I am very interested in th IoT and I would like to build a single pcb of the above LED controller to experiment with.
All of the smd components are too much of fiddle so I thought of building a bigger version for me to mess about with and learn along the way.
the LED controller is only the 3 channel(RGB) one but looks as if its only missing a couple of components to make it 4 channel(RGBW).
Also the is one is missing the IR remote sensor.
So the bits I'm having trouble with are the black things in the middle at L1 and the SOC-8 ic? What are the y so I can get a different type.
Thanks in advance.
IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0177.JPG

L1 is an inductor, and presumably the 8 pin chip is a switch-mode device using that inductor, but the picture doesn't show the number clear enough to read.

Hi thanks for the quick reply I have a photo which might help.
Could this be for the IR remote optocoupler?
IMG_0175.JPG

Last edited:
That's an IC. I would guess the IR receiver is off the board and connects to the terminal marked IR.

Mike.

the LED controller is only the 3 channel(RGB) one but looks as if its only missing a couple of components to make it 4 channel(RGBW).
A bold claim, what makes you think that?

Also the is one is missing the IR remote sensor.
IR Remote?
Then why is there a big module with an FCC logo on it, which looks very much like a radio control module?

JimB

A bold claim, what makes you think that?

IR Remote?
Then why is there a big module with an FCC logo on it, which looks very much like a radio control module?

JimB

Hi JimB the company that make these wifi led controllers make 3 types all in the same sized packed they are RGB, RGBW and RGBW with IR remote.
From looking at photos on the web it is only a remote IR sensor on the end of a cable and the difference between the 3 and the 4 I was guessing at as there are empty pads at pin 4 which are missing a mosfet, resistor and transistor.
It is controlled by an ESP8266 wifi chip which I was trying to flash before I broke it.

So my next problem is how to identify what the ic is the numbers from the top are I think,
MP24080N
F4894868
MP558

Thanks I had no look either. Im going to draw the circuit out and see what goes where, then I might be able to figure out what its doing.

J1 is where the IR sensor would connect, if there was one, but the components associated with J1 aren't populated either, so just adding an IR receiver won't work.

Yes Ive been tracing things out and the IR connection is power and data. The data line goes to the esp8266. So im wondering if the IC is something to do with logic leveler or power reducer.
Still learning all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back