Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAF remapping (not sure on this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are trying to change the A/F ratios over the entire range of the system look at changing the signals from the O2 sensors. They are what the ECU primarily uses to determine how much fuel to add to the air going into the system.

They are also simple analog output signals that can easily be amplified and the tweaked up or down to change the relative A/F ratio with far less headache that trying to fool the MAF system.

The changes you made will allow more air to flow and the MAF should pick this up. Are you speculating you need this or have you tested the engine and found problems ?

Not knowing what the car is I would suggest you try to get a tuner that will let you alter the setting in the existing ECU.

Last edited:
Well you guys need tp study how Ford's ECUs work because the o2 is only being used for throttle over 3/4 throttle and the maf will read all the air going into the engine but the ecu can only swing 12% each way

Is this nearer the mark?

Well you guys need to study how Ford's ECUs work because the o2 is only being used for throttle over 3/4 throttle and the maf will read all the air going into the engine but the ecu can only swing 12% each way

Well some of us guys already know that stuff but unfortunately when people start threads without fully explaining what exactly it is they are working with or what exactly they want or need to do those of us who can read minds tend to not bother posting since we already know the answers.

So do you just need to richen up the A/F ratio or what?

Fooling/faking Ford sensor signals is not all that difficult.

Last edited:
I didn't mean for that post to offend anyone sorry. Yes I need to richen it. I'm almost done with work so ill be able to make that picture.

Is this nearer the mark?

haha i didnt see this at work but this looks like it, the tps is giving the volts to tell the lm3914 when to switch the maf volts to a different pot then the volts need to go to the ecu

edit: after looking at it why is it going to cd4066, i need it to go to pots. i really need to learn more about this stuff, i feel like im wasting your guys' time... hmmm

Last edited:
So what model of vehicle is this on, what year, what engine, and what exact engine mods have been done so far?
Mild cam or aggressive cam, intake and exhaust system component changes, ignition curve rework?

There is a lot more to tweaking a stock EFI system work with non stock non emissions parts than just changing the signal from one sensor to five basic preset steps or set points.

okay its not like i dont know what im doing as far as modding my 1994 ford ranger with the 2.3l engine. it as an a237 cam in it mild cam. the intake is stock but ported and the head is also ports, stock exhaust. i currently am tuning it with the apexi safc version 1. the apexi uses the rpm to change the maf from pot to pot then you can turn the pots to add or subtract fuel in that rpm range, but here is why i want to make it run off the tps instead of the rpm, say you are going up a hill and you have the truck floored, but the rpms are only at lets say 3k well its only putting in the fuel for 3k but not for all that air going into the engine. so if you go off the tps you have a better way off tuning it because its only open so far and letting in so much air. make sense?

edit: build thread over at trf:
https://www.turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=4637

Last edited:
GM and Chrylser MAF's are 0-5v units. Ford's MAF generates a frequency, pretty low as I recall, like 50-100Hz. Maybe that will suit you better.
PIC's are ok, but if you want absolute simplicity, look at the Picaxe line. A free editor and only 2 resistors needed for programming.

i think fords is voltage too, but im not sure because people test them with a muiltimeter on the current setting.

Fords MAF sensors use a frequency based signal similar to their MAP sensors so the whole pot thing is not going to work. https://www.obd-codes.com/p0101

As far as getting more power out of a 2.3 l Ford thats easy. Swap it out for a bigger engine.;)

why is it going to cd4066, i need it to go to pots
It does go to pots (U1-U5) via the CD4066 (which is a quad transmission gate IC). Each gate opens in turn under the control of the 3914.

Search for "Megasquirt" and read the Megamanual. It will all become clear about things like O2 sensors and running out of air at 3k as you climb a hill.
If you don't have a MAF then you have a speed-density system. If you hook it up for n- alpha it will be very hard to drive. Back in the day when S-D was common, some TPS was added to the program to brighten things a bit. Too much of one or the other was bad.

What this all sounds like to me is you are trying to force a basic older model stock EFI system to work with a non stock turbo and cam to produce more power than they were ever designed to.

Your best option is probably going to be to just go with a full after market control system or design one yourself.

If you are already having full throttle lean burn issues there is the real possibility the fuel injectors and/or control system are already maxed out and simply can not provide any more fuel for the system regardless of what you try and trick the sensors into telling the ECU to do.

Whats melting a valve a tossing a chunk of it through your turbo going to cost to repair if you lean burn at WOT for too long? I suspect a full stand alone aftermarket system would be cheaper. That or get a good used 4.6l V8 out of a wrecked police interceptor and go nuts! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back