Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTSpice is very Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

The more I play with LTSpice the more I love it, it is very powerful indeed. I recently discovered (By reading the included manual), that you can do S-parameters, which is fantastic :)
I built a RF power splitter/combiner and been comparing actual test results to simulations, and boy they sure come close. I want to do a little write up later after I compile all my test results and put it down on paper. Oh by compare, I mean transient analysis not the S-params as I do not have equip for that. But here is a shot using the s params.

LTSPice1.PNG

When doing filters and RF things:
I add the wire resistance to an inductor/transformer. I also add parallel capacitance to get the self resonance right.
Large capacitors also have self resonance. I add the ESR and ESL to make the part simulate better.

Normally you don't have to be so picky. If you want to know the bandwidth of a splitter you need to know everything about the transformer.

When doing filters and RF things:
I add the wire resistance to an inductor/transformer. I also add parallel capacitance to get the self resonance right.
Large capacitors also have self resonance. I add the ESR and ESL to make the part simulate better.

Normally you don't have to be so picky. If you want to know the bandwidth of a splitter you need to know everything about the transformer.

Yeah, when I was setting up my design I tried to get as much of that data as I could. I used a program from Amidon (see image) which helps calculate the parasitics. I used a T50-6 iron powder core, so I used the values provided in the program. I tested my resonant point using a sig gen and 50Ω resistor and swept for a peak. I am included a page from my notebook.

ming-Ring.PNG SplitterNotes001.jpg

Last edited:
Note: My reference app was from Mini-Circuits:
AN-20-001 Rev.: B M150261 (04/15/15) File: AN20001.W61
This document and its contents are the property of Mini-Circuits.

**************Edit****************************************
Oops, forgot to include the link.
Mini-Circuits Appnote

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back