Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTspice freezing in windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,

We just got a new laptop and we find that running our LTspice simulations now mostly doesnt work.
These exact same simulations run fine on our old laptop.
Old laptop was "packard bell easynote TE" with Windows 8, and was running LTspice IV
New Laptop is "Lenovo Yoga 510" with Windows 10, and is running LTspice XV11.

The fault is that on most times that a simulation is started, it just freezes and "Task Manager" has to be used to "End Task", as it just freezes totally.

I read somewhere that it may be due to Windows 10 doing windows updates, and this interferes with LTspice?
Unfortunatelty windows updates can't be disabled in windows 10.

Incidentally, my friends computer has windows 10, and i also sometimes get this "freezing" problem on his computer...but not as often as with our new windows 10 laptop.

Do you know how to solve?
Maybe its colliding with Norton Antivirus?

Unfortunatelty windows updates can't be disabled in windows 10.
No, but you can reschedule them to take place at a time of your choosing.
I too have experienced LTSXV11 freezing on Win10; more so recently. The older LTS doesn't seem to freeze as often, and also seems faster at plotting waveforms, whereas LTSXV11 has several tries before it's happy with the plots.
I think any anti-virus software has a problem trying to catch up with all the Win10 updates: or is it the other way round? Chicken and egg :).

Thanks, the problem is that LTspice iv isnt available anywhere to download.
I have it installed on old laptop so i suppose i can get it out of prog files folder.

....OK, i went into the "Program Files (x86)" folder of our old laptop, and tried to find the
LTspice IV install file, so i could install it onto our new laptop. But I could not find it.
Therefore, i have copied the whole LTspice folder (called "LTC") and just dumped it into a file on the desktop of the new laptop.
So LTspice is now obviously not actually installed on the new laptop. However, if i click the file called "SCAD3" in the LTspice folder than it opens up
the LTspice window and this lets me open simulations (.asc files) and runs them. -And importantly now it doesnt crash.
Does anyone know what's going on here?

If i go into the Programs folder on the new laptop, which lists all the programs that are installed on the new laptop, then LTspice doesnt show up here.

This is weird, howcome LTspice is running on the new laptop even though its not installed on the new laptop?
At least its not crashing now.
Are there any disadvantages of this?
One slight disadvantage is that you have to open simulations from the LTspice window instead of just clicking them and having them automatically open up LTspice for us..

Being run in this bizarre way, it runs quicker on the new laptop than on the old one (but then again the new one is 2.4GHz processor speed vs 1.9GHz processor speed
for the old laptop)

This is weird, howcome LTspice is running on the new laptop even though its not installed on the new laptop?
It is installed. Type "XV" into the search function at the bottom left of your Win10 screen (or ask Cortana to find it :) ). By default it's probably in ProgramFiles(x86).

Thanks, Even though i uninstalled version XVII from the new laptop, it has left a small file in the "program files" folder of the new laptop........called "ASTx64.dll"

So i dont think it is installed in the new laptop

....OK, i went into the "Program Files (x86)" folder of our old laptop, and tried to find the
LTspice IV install file, so i could install it onto our new laptop. But I could not find it.
Therefore, i have copied the whole LTspice folder (called "LTC") and just dumped it into a file on the desktop of the new laptop.
So LTspice is now obviously not actually installed on the new laptop. However, if i click the file called "SCAD3" in the LTspice folder than it opens up
the LTspice window and this lets me open simulations (.asc files) and runs them. -And importantly now it doesnt crash.
Does anyone know what's going on here?

If i go into the Programs folder on the new laptop, which lists all the programs that are installed on the new laptop, then LTspice doesnt show up here.

At least its not crashing now.
Are there any disadvantages of this?
One slight disadvantage is that you have to open simulations from the LTspice window instead of just clicking them and having them automatically open up LTspice for us..

Being run in this bizarre way, it runs quicker on the new laptop than on the old one (but then again the new one is 2.4GHz processor speed vs 1.9GHz processor speed
for the old laptop)

Hi

LTspice makes many changes to the windows registry when installed. Since you've copied it from another computer instead of installing it using its installer, the registry edits were never made. Its behavior is now unpredictable since windows doesn't really know its there.

I've been using LTspice for years and windows 10 Pro for a few months now and both LTspice versions run nicely. I'm wondering if windows 10 on your system wasn't installed properly to begin with? Whenever I get a new computer, I don't trust the installed version of windows that comes with it. I always wipe it and install a fresh copy.

You might try removing LTspice, then use a registry cleaner (like CCleaner), then install LTspice properly. Maybe that will help.
Anyone using a windows OS should invest in a good registry cleaner and use it as part of regular maintenance. Many programs, or MS updates, leave unneeded registry entries behind that can cause problems. So a regular registry clean up is good practice.

Hope this helps..

eT

When Windows 10 was new and LTspiceXVII was released it locked up frequently. Then both got some updates and now they work together fine.
Linear technology was recently purchased by Analog Devices where you can find the latest version of LTspiceXVII.

Thankyou, i downloaded the ltspice xvii just two days ago, and the computer was new 2 days ago......so i am wondering if when i installed windows, (which shipped inside the laptop), maybe i made some errors in the dialog boxes or something.

Its behavior is now unpredictable since windows doesn't really know its there.
Thanks, this is worrying. Mind you, i remember when working at Dyson some years back i used LTspice for 2 months solidly in the same way because Dyson do not let people install programs without permission (i didnt have permission because i was on a quick job). -And when at Dyson, LTspice behaved fine in the way i have described.

Would you prefer to use IV or XVII?
Are you sure you can't find IV online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back