Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low voltage LED driver circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RQ1

Hi all,

I am designing and building some led light models for testing prior to industrial design.

It is a simple, battery operated, low-voltage LED project. It will contain 5 white hi-brillance LED's and will have a 4.5v AAA battery source.

Goal is to have consistent current even as battery degrades. I suspect the goal would be 20ma until the battery can no longer provide enough power.

I am considering a boost convertor similar to this TI part. It seems to have several nice benefits:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/10/tps61062.pdf

In figure 20, on page 15, they show a 5-LED circuit, with the LED's in series.

It indicates a dimming feature in the opening description on pg. 1 via digital signal but I would like to add an analog brightness control to the circuit, something which will offer 0 to 100% and at 0, the LED's are disconnected from the circuit so there is no current drain.

It mentions using a PWM signal to achieve this. Any advice on how I would incorporate this?

Is the chip overkill for a simple LED device? I do need to regulate the current and boost when the batteries get lower. Any better solutions than this chip?

Thx D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back