Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LoRa verses WiFi verses wires for home automation 2.4ghz verses 900mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronsimpson

Most Helpful Member
My home automation has all wise had many wires running places. Now I am experimenting with WiFi and (Pi or ESP8266) to replace the wires. With high gain antennas I can get outdoor distance but the (outdoor) network fails in the rain. Really need 300 feet but would like 1000 feet.

The 2.4ghz Xbee mesh network works better but I wish I had purchased the 900mhz Xbee which, at work, we reliably reach miles.

Does any one here use LoRa?

I think the modules are low cost, long range, outdoor reliable.
I think you need a single "LoRa gateway" to get started. Maybe WiFi to LoRa ?? Is there a serial to LoRa gateway?

It is scary to add all this network problems when wires work. Any thoughts?
Thanks Ron,

I tried... But LoRa is a IOT of sorts... It's designed to send packets of 25k quite far... BUT!! I needed a low power device so I use really small packet devices 12bytes and that's it...

Apparently they are great for powered wifi solutions and you can get up to 15 kilometers ( I didn't )...

After much research:
LoRa is a system where a remote device can only transmit 1% of the time. The hubs or gateways can talk more of the time.
The network is designed for sensors and remote items where there is little traffic.
I think a 2 line LCD display is fine but never a VGA display.
It appears "T=23", "A=off" is what the network is built for.
It appears to be the same band as 900-Xbee so we reliably reached line of sight 5 miles. (900mhz=US, there are other versions depending on where you live)

Have you looked at Z-Wave?

I've played with it a bit but I'm not really using it for much yet.

The mesh concept and every device being full two way seem very nice compared to some older systems.

Z-Wave is "mesh network" 900mhz. I like mesh and 900mhz. Again 900mhz requires remote devices to talk only 1% of the time.
You can transmit data fast for a short distance or transmit data slow for a long distance. I think Z-Wave is faster then LoRa but the distance is not as good. Several you-tube people have problems with distance with Z-wave.

If you are looking to extend your WiFi; I see NetGear has "mesh" network extenders. They claim to "hop, hop, hop" your network out some distance.
1554227675827.png

I have not tried mesh (out side of Xbee).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back