• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looks like terminal block [solved]

Not open for further replies.


Well-Known Member
Hi forum.

I've disassembled an obsolete wattmeter (for electrical billing - and it was found in trash, so no illegal doing at here) (Siemens "Landis & Gyr Dialog"), and just next to the main terminals - there are this extra set of smaller terminal blocks that are avaiable from the outside of the box (can see the numbers from outside of casing).

Now - I guess that the purpose of those is for manual measurement by using a multimeter.

But I also cannot stop thinking that it acually does look like there may be some spring loaded mechanism inside, and for that maybe it is possible to temporarly keep a wire or pin from falling.
Have tried to stick a small screwdriver and jerking around the metal inside, but cannot make it move - or make room to insert a wire in between.

So my question - do I get this wrong?
And second question - is there a terminology for this kind?



Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
They are generically "Cage clamp" type terminals.

With that particular one, if you push an appropriate small screwdriver in the upper slot, the lower one will open so a wire can be inserted or removed.
Some types have a button to open the terminal, either protruding or flush.

(They are the Wago ones Odin mentions; we use the exact same type in some gear we build).


Well-Known Member
Thank you very much. I've understand (and tried) how to use a screw driver to push it open :)
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles