Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking to design schematics from mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

itnithand

I would like to design circuit schematics from my Android phone.

I would need it to include integrated circuits such as the CD4000 series and similar chips.

I would prefer to have one that can also simulate the circuit, but if I can at least get the design drawn out that would be amazing :- D

Does anyone know if there is such software available for Android?

Ehhhh, I really doubt it. Seems like a good way to destroy your hands...making component symbols and routing wires and netlists and such using a touch screen. Do you not have a computer? I would choose a pencil and paper before I choose a touchscreen of any kind.

that's not a function well suited to a phone, or even a small tablet. download an AV receiver service manual PDF to your phone, and try to work with the schematics, and you will see why. the difference between the symbols being too small to identify (when looking at a medium size chunk of the schematic, to the symbols being readable, but not being able to identify their purpose (because you're zoomed in to a very small portion of the page), is a very narrow "window".

that doesn't mean there aren't any such apps, in fact there are such as [quick copper]. it's just that a phone isn't the best device for schematics. i would have been using one by now if the size/readability constraints weren't so narrow.

There are various clould options - Digikey has an online schematic capture program for example.

I would like to design circuit schematics from my Android phone.

I would need it to include integrated circuits such as the CD4000 series and similar chips.

I would prefer to have one that can also simulate the circuit, but if I can at least get the design drawn out that would be amazing :- D

Does anyone know if there is such software available for Android?

What is your goal to drawing the schematic on your mobile? Simulation, PCB drawing, artistic creation...

If you only want simulation, then I like iCircuit - works best on tablet but I guess you could suffer with a phone - sized screen and make it work.

People that draw schematics for a living get the biggest monitor(s) they can get. Many have 2, 3 or 4 monitors on one computer.

People who do it for a hobby make much simpler schematics on computers, too - but also on tablets, phones, napkins, scrap paper, ...

I just Draw My Schematics in an Old Version of "Paint Shop Pro".
You can Zoom in Big, if Needed.
I do All Lines 2 Bit Wide for Good Clarity, They Print and Scan Really Good.
I create my own electronic Symbols, than copy and paste them as needed.
0--DET LOOP.png

One Example:

Last edited:
I am at breakfast, scraps of paper everywhere, trying to answer on my phone. My Gorilla fingers and this phone hate each other.

Bigger phones are available.

AF806269-9E17-408C-9529-8D24F136C7AC.jpeg

As a circuit design goes through various incarnations, a lot of editing of component positions, interconnections and values is generally needed. As others have indicated above, this could be extremely frustrating with the small screen area available on a phone. In particular, you would be unable to 'read' a circuit by seeing components in context, or see both ends of an interconnect trace at once when trying to draw one.
Simulation would be possible though, and there are various Android apps available for that.

I can't Imagine doing this stuff on a Cell Phone or Ipad screen.
Give me a Full size Monitor every time.

I gave up on Simulations Years Ago.
They are based on IDEAL Components that don't really Exist and can't take into account things like Capacitive or Inductive Coupling between Components..

Give me a Full size Monitor every time.

What if you could only afford one (smart phone OR desktop computer)? As an electronics hobbyist, which would you choose? Life for some people is more about "make-do-with-what-you-have-decisions" Or "OR-decisions" instead of "AND-decisions", "MORE-decisions"...

can't take into account things like Capacitive or Inductive Coupling between Components.
They can if you choose to do that, but won't by default.

IDEAL Components
In cases like switching power supplies I add in the L & R for the big caps. Also the R & C for inductors. Leakage inductance for transformers. (Lead inductance). Self resonance work well for C and L.

A good RF transistor probably has lead inductance added in. For FR, PCB cap and inductance need to be added.

I just click on a capacitor and set Parallel R, Series R, and Incuctance. (Does not show on the schematic)

I gave up on Simulations Years Ago.

I also gave upon simulation years ago, then, years later, I gave up on giving up simulation because I realized that I only get IDEAL results if I am LAZY and use default (IDEAL) component settings but if I put in some effort, simulators provided such realistic results when you load them with realistic information.

Simulation is an art. You need to understand the components well enough to use "ideal" components to simulate the real stuff and THEN you can simulate your actual circuit. I was in the semiconductor layout design business for 15 years. It was full of simulation, characterization, empirical testing and making adjustments to the simulation to fine tune the results with real world measurements.

What if you could only afford one (smart phone OR desktop computer)? As an electronics hobbyist, which would you choose? Life for some people is more about "make-do-with-what-you-have-decisions" Or "OR-decisions" instead of "AND-decisions", "MORE-decisions"...

Old desktop computers with satisfactory to excellent capability are readily available in most areas for next to nothing, or even completely for free! Free software that rivals professional systems is also available!

Come on guys, enough of the squabbling.
(Several posts deleted).

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back