Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for vision camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab99407

I am looking for a good vision camera for sorting good and bad object on a conveyor at high speed

When I contacted Supplier, he asked me the following questions that I do not understand
  1. Field of view(Area to be inspected)
  2. Speed of object to be inspected if it is not stationary
  3. Colour or monochrome camera
  4. Details about the object to be acquired by the camera

Can anyone help me understand these point

Field of view(Area to be inspected)
We need to know what type of lenses for the camera. The conveyor belt is 1 meter wide and the camera is mounted 2 meter above the belt.

A camera might take 15 pictures a second or 60 or 100? or 1000? How fast is the belt moving?

Are you sorting red/green tomatoes? Or are you looking for bolts with/ with out threads. (B&W)
Details about the object
I have a camera mounted on a 10 inch telescope. Great pictures of the moon. Will not focus on you conveyor belt. Takes picture in very low light over many seconds. Probably not the right camera.
Give us all the information you have.

Also: what is the camera connected to? There are many types of camera connections.

Give us all the information you have.

Also: what is the camera connected to? There are many types of camera connections.

Take an example of a beer plant

length of belt is 1.5 meter, the belt is 0.6 meter wide , 3 BOTTLES pass every second from the front of the camera , camera is mounted 0.4 meter above the belt.

1. I have to check if the bottle of the beer cap is properly mounted or not?

2. I also want to check if the bottle is full of beer or empty

I have many cameras lately. Some wired, some WiFi, none expensive. All have a delay and motion blur. You need a good camera that is made for the job.

The network cameras use compression. Too much is lost. You might be able to turn off the compression.
You might be better using a lower resolution, no compression camera. We often turn up the light and run the pictures/second up.

length of belt is 1.5 meter, the belt is 0.6 meter wide , 3 BOTTLES pass every second from the front of the camera , camera is mounted 0.4 meter above the belt.

I do not understand what the information they have asked me.
Can anyone explain the meaning of those 4 points for the beer bottles ?

I am looking for a good vision camera for sorting good and bad object on a conveyor at high speed

When I contacted Supplier, he asked me the following questions that I do not understand
  1. Field of view(Area to be inspected)
  2. Speed of object to be inspected if it is not stationary
  3. Colour or monochrome camera
  4. Details about the object to be acquired by the camera

Can anyone help me understand these point

I do not understand what the information they have asked me.
Can anyone explain the meaning of those 4 points for the beer bottles ?

1) So, "field of view" is the angle from the camera Needs to see. For example, hold your arms out to the sides and move them forward until you can see your finger tips. Your eyes should have a 170° to 180° field of view. If you are watching television, bring your arms together until just the TV is in between your finger tips. Measure the angle your arms makes, about 10 or 20° is the "required" field of view. In your case, 40cm above a belt that is 60mm wide would require a 74° field of view to see the whole width of the belt. However, the bottle cap is going to be about 15 to 20cm closer to the camera so you'll need about 115° (Assuming 20cm tall bottle). If the bottles are coming down the middle of the belt in a single row, you can simplify the whole story and use a very narrow field of view - a bottle cap is less than 3 mm so a 10° field of view would be fine as long as they stay in the center of the belt. If the bottles are anywhere on the 0.6m wide belt, then you'll need the 115° belt or somewhere in between.

2speed of object will be 3 objects per second but you'll have to define if those three are Three-wide on the belt vs 1/3 second apart in single file going down the belt.
If they are single file, you can more accurately say the bottles are traveling 3/second. Note that the problem is easier if you have a narrow field of view and only one bottle is in the camera at a time, But, a narrow field of view that only shows one cap means that the bottle is in the camera frame For a much shorter time. You'll have to discuss that with your camera system supplier.

3) monochrome (black and white) will likely be fine for a bottle cap position. Using a camera may be difficult for sensing the liquid level in the bottle (color or black and white).
4) details, tell them what you e told us but add more detail about how the bottles are positioned on the belt and spacing in time (parallel or series) and, if parallel, what is your expectation of inspection (the whole row of three are "bad" or you expect a system to reject only a single bad bottle.

note- vision systems are easier to implement,emit if one object is present at a time and the object is always at the same point on the belt (center). It can be moving but the same position is easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back