Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for most profitable way to sell old magazines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect they have very little value, particularly if not bound. In my case, when I retired, I had a small truck load of bound journals (35 years X 6 different journals X 12 months). Most were bound, and I couldn't give them away. In fact, I couldn't even put them in the recycled paper dumpster because of the bindings. So, I ripped off the bindings, put them in the trash, and put the remaining paper in the recycler.

Before computers, scanning and automated indexing, old journals had some value. You could find a young student or library to take them. In the mid-60's, I paid about $200 for JACS from the late 1800's to 1960's. That was a lot of journals and they were valuable because of the early issues. In 1974, I ended up giving some of them to people who needed to fill in their series and discarded the rest.

1) Libraries will probably not be interested, unless they need select missing issues.
2) A student (like me in 1960's) might be interested, but wouldn't have much money.
3) Most back issues of the stuff I read are available on line.

Of the magazines/journals you mention, select S.A. issues may have some value. There are classic issues that a collector might want. I don't know anything abut the collectible market for Byte or Omni.

Just checked S.A. on ebay. There are a lot for sale, but not a lot of bidders. Selling on eBay could be a slow and frustrating process. This one had a bid: **broken link removed**

John

You could always try to sell the whole lot on EBAY, you never know what some people are looking for, but the shipping cost alone would make it almost not worth it, unless you can do the if it fits it ships
emi-flat-rate-232.png

I could be wrong but I have seen people attempting to sell some of the more sought after issues for $100s of dollars and lesser ones for from $5 to $25 or so. The truth must be some place in the middle.

Shipping is paid by the buyer.

Last edited:
Commerce is selling something for more than you think it is worth to someone who thinks it is worth more than he is paying.

eBay is probably your best outlet. Good luck. I used to always check "completed listings" to get an idea of what actual selling prices versus asking prices were. In the past weeks, that option has disappeared.* It's just one more indication of the direction Mr. Donohoe is taking the company before bailing out.

John

*May be browser dependent: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Technical-Issues/Completed-Listings-Gone/5100123839 But, I doubt it. (Wrong)

It has been moved to the top middle of the screen.

Last edited:
The asking price is one thing, what people are willing to pay is another. Yes the buyer pays shipping, and if shipping cost is too much, the buyer may decide not to buy. For example; I was looking for fire nozzles for my agency. I found a great price for a hose nozzle, but the shipping was more than the unit price so foget about it...

I could be wrong but I have seen people attempting to sell some of the more sought after issues for $100s of dollars and lesser ones for from $5 to $25 or so. The truth must be some place in the middle.

Shipping is paid by the buyer.

Try it and see - but most probably don't ever sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back