Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for Cycletrol Controller help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wistlepig1

This request was orginally sent to my 9x20 lathe user group, please help if you can. thanks Martin

I have been trying to connect a Cycletrol 150 model # 150-300 to a treadmill motor without much luck. I got the controller off of E-bay, as is, and the SCR was burnt up. I was able to get a new one; I had to wire it a little different than the original one because the new one wasn’t setup for braking. Once I figured out where the ac term’s, gates, and +, -dc where I got the results listed below. I have been through the manual listed on our group 9x20 site, many times. Can anyone give me some tips or point me in a direction to help. Listed below is what I have tried.

With the AC connected to the controller I get 100-104 volts DC output at the #3,4 terminals. But when I connect a DC tread mill motor (rate at 1 ½ HP @ 95vdc) to the same terminals (3,4) the voltage drops to 0 and when you turn the pot to full power you get 5-6 V DC and the motor turns very slow. Thanks Martin

Hi,

I have no idea what a tread mill motor is,
unfortunately neither has Google.
And Google knows everything.

John :)

Attachments

• Treadmill.jpg
    Treadmill.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 213
Reply to John

John, a treadmill motor is a permanent magnet, brush type, Dc motor, normally ¾ to 2 ½ HP, 90 to 110 volts DC, mostly used to power a treadmill. In the case, hobbyists use them to power small mills and metal lathes. Sorry that I wasn't clear earlier. Thanks Martin

john1 said:
I have no idea what a tread mill motor is,
unfortunately neither has Google.
And Google knows everything.

Surprising. I found some different results.

Attachments

• trdmill serch.JPG
    trdmill serch.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 137
Hi wistlepig1,

Thank you for that explanation.
I now know what it is.

You say you have been trying to connect a "Cycletrol 150 model # 150-300"
to this motor without much luck.

I am going to assume that the "Cycletrol 150 model # 150-300" is some
kind of electronic motor speed controller, which uses an SCR.

When you say you 'wired it a little different' i am going to assume that
you wired it in a manner that it should run, but without the braking facility.

I am going to assume that you have tried the motor on a suitable supply
and that the motor runs Ok.

It sounds to me that the controller unit is at fault.

These units are usually PWM, 'pulse width modulated' circuits and are a
study of their own.

If you want to repair the unit, you will need the diagrams and probably
some assistance from someone familiar with the unit.

Best of luck with it,

More DC controller

John, you hit the nail on the head about a good drawing. The best I have been able to find so far is little more that a line drawing showing the major parts. BIG PROBLEM when troubleshooting. The SCR that was in the unit when I got it was burnt, it had 8 pin, 2 for ac in, 2 for gates, 2 for braking, and 2 for DC out. The new one (6 pins)didn't have the braking ones, all others were the same. WIth the new one wired in and hot you get 100 - 104 v DC at the +and - term.s but when the load(treadmillmotor) is connected the out put drops to 5 -6 vdc with the pot at max. but the motor turns slowly (40-50 RPM's). I don't have a clue why!! Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back