Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for an alternate for a SN74159

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruppster

I am trying to use an SN74159 (4-Line To 16-Line Decoder) with open collector outputs but it looks like that chip is going away. I need something that has an active low to turn on a couple of LED's. The reason for wanting an open collector IC is that I need to connect several of the outputs together. It's for a traffic light circuit I have that currently uses a 74LS145 BCD to 10 line decoder but I want to expand it to a 16 step instead of a 10 step.

Most of the sites I buy parts from don't list a 74159 and the few I have found that have it want a $50 to $100 min. order. Is there another TTL 4-Line To 16-Line decoder that I could use that has open collector outputs that is easier to find then the 74159 or is there a better source to buy a 74159 from that I have missed? And yes, I did search this site and only came up with one referrence to the chip I need. So any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ruppster

74159 has been obsolete for a long time. 74154 is not open collector but is also getting hard to find. 4514 or 74HC4514 is a 4 to 16 line decoder but does not have open collector outputs. You may want to use this chip and run it outputs into a couple of octal buffers w/open collector outputs to achieve the same thing as a 74159.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back