Looking for an alternate for a SN74159

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruppster

I am trying to use an SN74159 (4-Line To 16-Line Decoder) with open collector outputs but it looks like that chip is going away. I need something that has an active low to turn on a couple of LED's. The reason for wanting an open collector IC is that I need to connect several of the outputs together. It's for a traffic light circuit I have that currently uses a 74LS145 BCD to 10 line decoder but I want to expand it to a 16 step instead of a 10 step.

Most of the sites I buy parts from don't list a 74159 and the few I have found that have it want a $50 to $100 min. order. Is there another TTL 4-Line To 16-Line decoder that I could use that has open collector outputs that is easier to find then the 74159 or is there a better source to buy a 74159 from that I have missed? And yes, I did search this site and only came up with one referrence to the chip I need. So any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ruppster

The part you want is 74154, available from Mouser and Digi-Key. The 74159 is not even in my TTL data book.

74159 has been obsolete for a long time. 74154 is not open collector but is also getting hard to find. 4514 or 74HC4514 is a 4 to 16 line decoder but does not have open collector outputs. You may want to use this chip and run it outputs into a couple of octal buffers w/open collector outputs to achieve the same thing as a 74159.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…