Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a thermal fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

johanm

Hi,

Thought I'd check here if there is anyone who knows if there are thermal fuses available for currents above 16 Amps? If so do you know of a manufacturer for these?
What i would need is one that can handle currents in the range of 25 to 35 amps.

I'd apreciate any help you can give.

//Johan

Most fuses melt as a way of opening the circuit. The heat to melt them is often the result of the current flow.

I know they make some fuses that melt as a result of heat in the surrounding environment - to protect appliances or motors from overheating. It isn't the load current that causes the failure - just the temperature.

If a current flow of 25 or 35 amps is what you want to limit then yes, they make lots of them. Electrical supply places carry them. Here in the US all of the home supply stores carry them up to 100 amps or more. If it's temperature then I am not sure.

The problem is with your question. You say you want a thermal fuse so you should specify the temperature limit - not the current limit. Thermal fuses are available from 162 degrees F to 464 degrees F.

Regular fuses (ie, not thermal fuses) are available in current ratings well above 16A! It depends, though, on what size package you want. The small automotive (tubular glass) fuses generally don't come much bigger than 25A, however, if you go to larger packages, fuses are available all the way up to 2000A.

Now, as Gene said, do you want a regular fuse, or a thermal fuse? :wink:

To put it clear: you mean a device that opens a circuit because of too high environment tempearature.
One of my electronics suppliers told me that the small silver ones (one-way) found e.g. in transformer windings, coffee machines and wife's hairdryer as final shutoff, available in a broad temperature range, can well handle 30A.
Otherwise you could try paralleling some of them, why not ?

Thermal fuse

Well, as I wrote I am indeed looking for a thermal fuse. In general terms what I want is a fuse that will melt when the temperature of a semiconductor has reached a to high temperature. The failuremode of the semiconducting component is such that I can not turn it off.

Since the failure does not cause a short circuit in the system a standard fuse is of no use to me. It is still present in the circuit and will protect it from over currents. As high temperatures is a fire hazard I want a component that can kill the circuit before it reaches such temperatures.

/ Johan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back