Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Logic level shifters

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin_t

Hi

I am having a few issues when trying to select a logic voltage shifter for an application.

I am trying to interface a GPRS modem chip with Tera Term terminal program via RS232.

I have been looking at a Maxim MAX3386EIPWR chip, where it seems that the logic level is determined by the voltage applied to a pin VL. The data sheet references to 3.3V for the power supply and VL for the application circuit and recommends 2.25V minimum for VL.

My logic levels are 1.8V max. The VL absolute ratings are -0.3 to VCC+0.3.

Q should applying 1.8V to VL give me the logic levels I require?

Q If I apply 1.8 V to VL will I need to change capacitor values from the application circuit to suit?

If this chip is not suitable, has anyone came across a chip that will give 1.8V to RS232 logic voltage levels?

I have attached the transceiver data sheet and the logic levels of my modem chip for reference.

Thanks

Jusin

Attachments

• Modem logic levels Print Screen.JPG
    Modem logic levels Print Screen.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Level Shifter MAX3386EIPWR.pdf
    418.9 KB · Views: 183
If you are after a quick solution then 1.8v logic levels will switch a NPN transistor just fine, and an NPN transistor will drive a PC serial port. Well, almost all PC serial ports that is.

Mr RB, thanks but I would like to have a chip for the job as I need a long term soultion. Will keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks Eric, I was a bit confused as it was a chip that the modem manufacturer had recommended but I wasnt totally sold after reading the data sheet. Ill do another search. Ideally the component is in Farnell or RS for ease of purchase.

A google search turned up this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back