Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Load sensing switch/relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yort

Hello everyone, I'm working on a small project and was hoping for some help. I've designed an apparatus that uses a 12v dc motor to open and close a sliding door so our dog can come and go as he pleases. It will be triggered by a proximity sensor that starts the motor and cycles the apparatus to open and close the door. I am looking for a switch or relay that would sense the motors (increased) load in case the dog or something else is obstructing the door while it's closing - sort of a safety feature. It would then reverse the motor and slide the door back open. Is there such a switch or relay? I would assume that it's sensitivity would have to be adjustable. Thanks.

A high-side current monitor, like a Zetex ZXCT1009 or one of its brothers, hooked to a comparator, like an LM339, could be used to trip a relay.

It's often easier to monitor the low side current coming back from the reversing device. It's also usually necessary to ignore current for a short time after the motor has started, as the current peaks there as well.

Here is some code that I am running on electric car windows. There is a sensing resistor in the connection to the sources of the N-Mosfets in the bridge.

The code also contains the switch sensing, which uses the ADCs as I ran out of connections. There is also communication to the identical unit on the other side of the car.

Attachments

• carwindow.asm
    25.4 KB · Views: 213
another way you can use a mechanical torque switch or a similar linear switch for force (spring loaded to adjust the sensitivity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back