Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Load cell - summing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to measure the weight of a container of fluid. I want to just use 2 load cells on the front 2 LEGS (of 4).
Can I just parallel up the 4 wires to sum the weight on the 2 legs and treat as a single load cell? What are the disadvantages of doing that vs taking 2 independent channels & adding them mathematically in the microprocessor?

Being liquid, the load will always be UDL. I'm not worried about inaccuracies due to tilting as the load cells compress; I believe it to be negligible.

Thank you.

hi ff,
It is common practice to wire load cells of the same type in parallel.
Some users add a 'summing circuit' PCB, this is to balance the two load cells on zero/span.

You may find this PDF useful. [Ref Page #45]
E

Attachments

• Loadcell Troubleshooting.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Great doc, many thanks.
I have no idea what sort of accuracy I'll get when I parallel up 2 x cheap chinese load cells from ebay. I should be finding out soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back