Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ln741 vs ua741 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to put togetter a guitar pedal and it's very simple. However, they use a ua741 and what I have at hand is an LN741.

What is the reason for a LN and UA in front of those popular ICs (ihear people just say a 741)?

thank you !

No, its not ideal for audio and will introduce noise/distortion. (But isn't noise/distortion what modern music's all about :)).

The two letter prefix denotes the manufacturer: the uA prefix was for Fairchild, the LM prefix was National Semiconductor. Linear Technology used LT as their prefix.

Yes they are great for audio as in a guitar pedal like I said.
Guitar pedal often = distortion.. :)

Thank you for the website and the details !

I also have a HA17741 .. I don't know what's the 17 in front of the 741 for but they seem to be the same thing as the other 741s from what i can see on the datasheet, correct ?

Correct, however i didn't go into the datasheets to see if some obscure parameter was slightly better or not.

You will find that certain companies will sometimes stick their own prefix in front of a generic device sometimes not, like on 1Nxxxx diodes or 2Nxxxx, 2scxxxx ,2saxxxx etc transistors. Sometimes on trannys they will leave off the first two letters as with 2sc945 may show as a c945. or its compliment 2sa733 will show only a733. Over time you learn the patterns and sometimes you need to be a Sherlock Holmes.

You can for fun, do a search from the website I linked to for HA17 and see if you can decipher Hitachi's markings. That's assuming they have a system or keep to it. Also search for HA1, this may enlightened you to a pattern. Alternatively, you could search for Hitachi but you may end up with a bazilion hits.

Cheers

rather than a 741, try something made for audio like a TL072 or LF353. these two devices are great for guitar pedals. especially if it's a fuzz effect. the 741 has NO high frequency response and makes a lousy fuzz effect.

The 741 opamp is made by many manufacturers with many different letters and numbers in front of the "741".
It was introduced 44 years ago but not for amplifying sound. Electric guitar people liked it because it sounded Baaaad and it still sounds bad today.

the sockets are different. a TL071 would work in the same socket, the TL072 is a dual op amp, the 741 and the TL071 are single op amps with offset trim pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back