Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LME49811TB as guitar amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorySCline

Hello all!

Having successfully completed my first successful circuit (a 9V powered guitar amp using the LM386N-4 chip), I would like to move on by making a full size performance level amplifier. I have done a little bit of research and considered building the P1eX from www.ax84.com but the cost is too great. I am looking into building a tube free amp (I guess that would be called solid state?....maybe?). I have looked into using the LME49811 and the associated circuit in **broken link removed**. However, I have a couple of questions.

1) Would this chip even be suitable for use as a guitar amp? (Mono input, sound quality, etc)
2) How would I make this be powered by a 110V wall plug? (I have never attempted working with mains voltages, so ANY advice will be great)

Thanks!

Re: LME49811 amplifier input stage.
1) Would this chip even be suitable for use as a guitar amp?
Do you need hundreds of Watts for your guitar??
Electric guitars use vacuum tube amplifiers with horrible distortion and a narrow bandwidth. This amplifier has almost no distortion and has a very wide bandwidth, it is high fidelity. You can add a fuzz circuit to add distortion and use filters to produce a narrow bandwidth.

2) How would I make this be powered by a 110V wall plug?
A power supply is simply a transformer, a bridge rectifier module and two large filter capacitors. A fuse is used on the 110V side of the transformer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply :). From how you describe it tube amps are horrible :) lol. I am ok with using effects boxes :) just another project lol. Am I translating this to "this amp Will give you crystal clear output"? Does the lack of a low bandwidth signal mean it won't perform properly?

As to the wattage....why not? I'm an American...bigger is better ;).

Thanks for the information about the transformer. I will do more research on picking one out.

Once again forgive the stupid questions, I just wanna Lean :)

Last edited:
plzzz help me anyone
i am new to forum. Can u tell me how to ask question in forum on this site ?
You've just asked your first question! So now you know ;-)
Seriously, though, you shouldn't 'hijack' someone else's thread to pose your own question, as you've just done. Navigate to the forum home page, choose the appropriate section of the forum, and create a new thread (your question) there.

Last edited:
From how you describe it tube amps are horrible
In 1963 I made a vacuum tube amplifier from a kit. It was hi-fi and had fairly low distortion when the vacuum tubes were new but the distortion was horrible after a few months then the tubes needed to be replaced for low distortion again. It had a fairly wide bandwidth of from 40Hz (no deep bass) to 25kHz.

Guitar amps have high distortion and a narrow bandwidth like a telephone. No deep bass and no sizzling highs.

@ audioguru.
I have been lurking this thread and I am a little confused.You stated that the circuit suggested by Cory, using the LM386N-4 is Hi-fi and high bandwidth. Is that good or bad for an electric guitar or is it just overkill? The circuit looks fairly simple and cheap.

Regards

pilko

@ audioguru.
I have been lurking this thread and I am a little confused.You stated that the circuit suggested by Cory, using the LM386N-4 is Hi-fi and high bandwidth. Is that good or bad for an electric guitar or is it just overkill? The circuit looks fairly simple and cheap.

Regards

pilko
A few after thoughts that may help if you want to attempt this project. I chose the LM386N-4 as a "Proof of concept". basically, to prove that I would be capable of the skills required to undertake real amplifier creation. that being said, the LM386N-4 only outputs 1 Watt of power. This is not quite usable for anything but practice. If you plan to use the pin 1 - 8 connection for gain, plan to get a 2W speaker as it has some bad popping at those levels.

The current project we are discussing, which is what he is referring to as Hi Fi and High Bandwisth is the LME49811 circuit. Slightly more expensive, but from what I can see, TOTALLY worth it. :) Good luck!

Last edited:
@ Cory,
Thanks for spotting my mistake.I miss-quoted. I meant to refer to the 49811 circuit that you pointed out.
What's your take on my Hi-fi and bandwidth question?

Regards

pilko

@ Cory,
Thanks for spotting my mistake.I miss-quoted. I meant to refer to the 49811 circuit that you pointed out.
What's your take on my Hi-fi and bandwidth question?

Regards

pilko

My take is that a better quality signal is perfect for the application. Besides, maybe Monday you'll throw a party or something and want to plug an mp3 player in or something similar. So in a nutshell yes it is overkill. But being only 8 bucks for the chip I would say it is worth it

@ audioguru.
Vacuum tube electric guitar amplifiers add a lot of distortion (fuzz) and have a narrow bandwidth (no deep bass and no sizzling highs).
The LM386 has a low max output power of only 0.4W (like a cheap clock radio) but has fairly low distortion of typically 0.2% at half power. Its bandwidth is as low as you want because it has no output transformer and as high as 300kHz.

Vacuum tube electric guitar amplifiers add a lot of distortion (fuzz) and have a narrow bandwidth (no deep bass and no sizzling highs).
The LM386 has a low max output power of only 0.4W (like a cheap clock radio) but has fairly low distortion of typically 0.2% at half power. Its bandwidth is as low as you want because it has no output transformer and as high as 300kHz.
however keep in mind we are not referring to the original lm386. The one we are discussing is the n4 version with a full watt output.:)

Last edited:
however keep in mind we are not referring to the original lm386. The one we are discussing is the n4 version with a full watt output.:)
The "n4" LM386 has an output when overdriven of 1W into 32 ohms when its supply is 16V and its clipping distortion is 10%.
Most speakers are 8 ohms, not 32 ohms. Clipping distortion sounds awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back