Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM337 subtitute to LM317???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMalonzo

Hello there guys,

I already found a design for 7.5V / 800mA regulated power supply, thanks for everybody who share their knowledge.
But my problem now is that i don't have a LM317 here but instead I have a LM337 at hand. As far as I know LM317 is a positive voltage regulator but LM337 is a negative voltage regultor.
Can I subtitute the LM337 to LM317? What will gonna be my connection, I already have a figure in my mind of the posible connection, but I'm not sure if this will work. And for safety reason I am seeking for an advice for those who is much experienced.
Any reply is higher appreciated.

Regards
:D

AMalonzo said:
Hello there guys,

I already found a design for 7.5V / 800mA regulated power supply, thanks for everybody who share their knowledge.
But my problem now is that i don't have a LM317 here but instead I have a LM337 at hand. As far as I know LM317 is a positive voltage regulator but LM337 is a negative voltage regultor.
Can I subtitute the LM337 to LM317? What will gonna be my connection, I already have a figure in my mind of the posible connection, but I'm not sure if this will work. And for safety reason I am seeking for an advice for those who is much experienced.
Any reply is higher appreciated.

You can simply regulate in the negative rail instead, you still end up with a positive and negative. This was commonly done in 12V portable TV's, to regulate the 12V with a low voltage drop.

Thanks. Another question, if the value of the two resistor are changed does the ouput current will be affected?

AMalonzo said:
Having a load of 7.5V/800mA, do I need to use a heat sink? what size do i need if ever? My input 12Volts.

Presumably the datasheet covers heatsink calculations?.

Personally I'd try a reasonable size one to start, and see how hot it gets :lol:

A lot depends if the load is constant, if so it will obviously be runing hot all the time - if it's in a metal case, you may be able to use the case as the heatsink. Again, try it and see how hot it runs.

Lm337 can replace Lm317

Hey i came to know that u have only Lm337 i have an answer dont neglet it .
It is simple just give +ve terminal of ckt to ground terminal of regulator and -ve terminal to -ve of regulator ( i think it don`t effect u r ckt)

chir said:
It is simple just give +ve terminal of ckt to ground terminal of regulator and -ve terminal to -ve of regulator ( i think it don`t effect u r ckt)
WRONG!
Look at the circuit on the datasheet of the LM337.
The resistors and capacitors must use the positive supply as ground, not the negative that is used for the LM317.

If you're only using it as a single power supply then it won't make any difference so long as the input isn't earth bonded and the appliance attached isn't connected to anything earth bonded.

If it's a bipolar power supply then it will matter, you'll need an LM337.

You can make a bipolar power supply with two LLM217s but you need a transformer with two separate secondaries and two bridge rectifiers and smoothing capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back