Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM317/350 adjustable regulator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

indecided

Hey guys,

I'm building a LM350-based adjustable power supply with a PC PSU being used as the current source. Since I noticed that the PSU also has -5v and -12v rails respectively, I was wondering if i could feed the LM350 with +12v and -12v, effectively giving it "24v", which would give me a voltage of about 0v -> 22.5v in theory to play with, versus a 0v -> 10.5v with just 12v input.

Can anyone tell me if i will run into problems? The main issue I see now is that (if it works) the -12v rail supplies meagre amperage (less then 1) while the +12v is capable of 8A easily. Will this hurt me in the short/long run?

Thanks!

Use some selector or toggle switch to make connection of both the positive and negative connections of LM350 to different output leads of the power pack.

In this case you have the best combinations, 3A for up to 10.5V and 1A for up to 22V. Remember you usually need some loadings on the +5V output to keep the supply alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back