Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

liquid tin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know tinning for the hobbyist may be overkill, but does anyone know where I may be able to source this stuff from in the UK ? https://mgchemicals.com/products/421.html

Thanks in advance

Mark

Mark,

the stuff you mention looks suspiciously similar to the **broken link removed**immersion tin that Crownhill supply. I've used them for PICs and various other goodies, and they are pretty quick with their deliveries.
It aint cheap, but good things never are! :D

Paul.

You don't know if RS, Farnell or Rapid sell anything similar?

I have looked at Farnell and Rapid but not RS. I'll take a look.

Thanks

RS Components sell Tin Plating crystals, 450gram tub.
part number : 567-812
Price £52.15 (+vat)!

Another option is at **broken link removed** - hope this is of some help (at least it's cheaper than RS!)

Last edited:
I think I prefer Crownhill's prices, even if you have to pay for delivery it still works out cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestions. How long does the powdered stuff keep for?

I like the liquid tin idea because it keeps indefinitely, I don't think the same could be said for the alternatives.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark,

the stuff you mention looks suspiciously similar to the **broken link removed**immersion tin that Crownhill supply. I've used them for PICs and various other goodies, and they are pretty quick with their deliveries.
It aint cheap, but good things never are! :D

Paul.

That looks like the stuff. I might give it a go.

Does the powdered stuff have a shelf life?

Shelf Life

Looks as if the shelf life should be about 6 months once mixed. Obviously you don't have to mix it all at once :D

I have attached the manufacturers data-sheet for your info.

Regards,

Ruert

Attachments

• 5185_Data_Sheet_Immerse_Tin_(600-020-021).pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 328
I used to use the R.S stuff, it will keep for around 2 months if not sealed in an air tight container when mixed. It will also leech moisture out the air when still in the powdered state, the powder becoming slowly gooey over about 8-9 months after the tub seal is broken. It is also pretty expensive from R.S. so I would recommend Mega UK, and only buying 1 Litre at £14.95 plus VAT. That should be more than enough for a hobby quantity of boards, however, if you want 5 Litres, then it's £44.90 plus VAT.

hxxp://www.megauk.com/pcb_chemicals.php

Tin plating boards is a process I always perform irrespective of the board size or complexity. It provides a hard wearing finish, even in harsh environments. It also stops the copper oxidising, and is especially hardy when a prototype board is being constantly handled. It looks a lot nicer than discoloured copper too [:)]

rgds

But surely the dry stuff keeps forever as long as it's in a dry place.

EDIT:
How about sticking a couple of sachets of silica gel into the storage container to keep it dry?

Last edited:
Hi Hero,

The problem is that the powder is hygroscopic in nature, it will suck any moisture in from the air, no matter where or how it's kept. The moment you open the jar, the process begins, and will continue each time you open the jar. It absorbs enough moisture over my normal course of 8-9 months to make the powder more like a very very thick paste.

I have never tried silica gel packs in the jar, nor would I, it's in my nature not to mix chemicals, no matter how inert they purport to be.

The slightest contamination of the thiourea and the process will fail to produce the required results, i.e proper plating.

rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back