Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linear power supply shopping assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssylee

I'm looking for linear power supplies that are capable of outputting +15 and -15V, with current supply capacity of at least 2A. However, I'm having trouble finding them in a nicely enclosed package from both Digikey and Farnell Newark. Can anyone recommend a good place to look for linear power supplies that would be in a nicely enclosed package?

mpja.com

Their catalog is easier to browse than their website. Are you set on 15 volts specifically? You'll find a lot more choices in 12 volt supplies, and 3 volts hardly means anything.

I'm looking for +15 and -15V specifically, and I mistyped my current requirements. It should be at least 3A instead of 2A.

That's 90VA you're looking for... have you considering making one yourself?
Transformer with Centre Tap, Bridge Rectifier, about 6-8 Capacitors and a couple resistors is all that is really required.
This said however, if you have no prior experience in building power supplies - it's not as if 3A is a mighty lot - but I don't think this would be an appropriate first port of call.

ssylee said:
I'm looking for +15 and -15V specifically, and I mistyped my current requirements. It should be at least 3A instead of 2A.

hi,
Can you say which country you are posting from.?
So that we can perhaps suggest a 'local' supplier.

Have you called MRO on Boundary Road? They carry a few lines, including Omron DIN rail mount packages and may be able to supply something. Another idea is to contact Samlex in Coquitlam. They have quite a few inexpensive DC supplies, but I don't think they carry the "open-frame" style or dual output.

You might want to find a "Power One" supplier. This company makes a lot of open frame DC supplies.
**broken link removed**

Try Lee's Electronics on Main Street. It's around 26th Avenue (or is that 28th? across from the Audi dealership, anyway). Main Electronics is just a couple of doors south. One shop or the other should be able to help you.

How much are you ready to spend?

Torben

I'm ready to spend as much as necessary to get a power supply that can supply very clean power (already spent about $250 on a switching power supply and a linear power supply).

ssylee said:
I'm ready to spend as much as necessary to get a power supply that can supply very clean power (already spent about $250 on a switching power supply and a linear power supply).

I'm not sure if you're looking for a bench supply or what, but perhaps the last one on this page might be suitable: **broken link removed**

[Edit: there are also a couple in the online catalog at RP Electronics in Burnaby: http://www.rpelectronics.com/ ]

Hope that helps,

Torben

Last edited:
ssylee said:

Linear Power Supplys Are Very Clean, If it wasnt clean to begin with, you could have added more capacitors on the Output Or added in a voltage regulator IF one didnt exist already.

ssylee said:

I spent approximately AU$50 to build a 60VA +-32V linear supply, it had about 2mV ripple (For my purpose it was fine), and that could have been further reduced with addition of more capacitors as Overclocked said.
It isn't really a difficult task to create your own if you'd like... you can make quite a quality supply... The biggest advantage is, it suits your needs exactly rather than looking for something in the stores.

You could use a tranformer with a twin secondary to build two LM350 supplies and connect them in series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back