Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear actuator driven by a fast solid state relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculus

Friends,

I am planning to drive the following linear actuator:

**broken link removed**

with a fast solid-state relay or TTL pulse level.

The purpose is to get a slow but precise linear translation.

Is it possible or do you envision any problem.

Thank you kindly

Calculus

Friends,

I am planning to drive the following linear actuator:

**broken link removed**

with a fast solid-state relay or TTL pulse level.

The purpose is to get a slow but precise linear translation.

Is it possible or do you envision any problem.

Thank you kindly

Calculus

hi,:)
With a SSR are you able to reverse connect the actuator coil in order to drive in and out and then maintain its position.?

Well I need it to move forward slowly, I will use another -5V supply to reverse it.

However, I need very precise forward movement, what do you think?

Thanks

Well I need it to move forward slowly, I will use another -5V supply to reverse it.

However, I need very precise forward movement, what do you think?

Thanks

hi,
If you used a simple H Bridge you drive the actuator in both directions precisely, no need for a -5V supply.

**broken link removed**

The LM293 is a H Bridge.

Use a single 5V supply, 2 Nchannel and 2 Pchannel Mosfets in a H-Bridge circuit with two logic inputs. The direction of travel will be determined by which input you pulse. The width and period of the pulse could determine the average speed of travel. If you want to control position using the feedback resistor built-in to the actuator, that is bit more complicated, but that could be done too. What determines where you want the actuator at a given time?

Use a single 5V supply, 2 Nchannel and 2 Pchannel Mosfets in a H-Bridge circuit with two logic inputs. The direction of travel will be determined by which input you pulse. The width and period of the pulse could determine the average speed of travel. If you want to control position using the feedback resistor built-in to the actuator, that is bit more complicated, but that could be done too. What determines where you want the actuator at a given time?

I was planning to use the pulse width and number of pulses to determine the increment of translation for a particular period of time.

The extent of translation is more important in my project and not the absolute position.

Another thing I am a bit confused about: In the specs for the actuator what do the mean by a duty cycle of 20%?

Thanks a lot:)

I was planning to use the pulse width and number of pulses to determine the increment of translation for a particular period of time.

The extent of translation is more important in my project and not the absolute position.

Another thing I am a bit confused about: In the specs for the actuator what do the mean by a duty cycle of 20%?

Thanks a lot:)

hi,
The way I read te spec for the actuator is, that it must not be powered for more than 20% of the time.

Its only got a rated lifetime of 200hrs!! under ideal conditions..,seems quite a short time in my experience.

Last edited:
hi,
The way I read te spec for the actuator is, that it must not be powered for more than 20% of the time.

Its only got a rated lifetime of 200hrs!! under ideal conditions..,seems quite a short time in my experience.

Dear ericgibbs,

Yes you are right about the 200 hrs. However, seems like the cheapest I can get in the market.

So if I get it right about the duty cycle:

The interpulse interval should be at least 5 times each pulse width?

Thanks

Calculus:)

Dear ericgibbs,

Yes you are right about the 200 hrs. However, seems like the cheapest I can get in the market.

So if I get it right about the duty cycle:

The interpulse interval should be at least 5 times each pulse width?

Thanks

Calculus:)

hi,
It would be 1 to 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back