• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

line tester(or phase tester)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujit

New Member
hi, sir

i want to ask the prevous question that i have asked but it was the tester that tells os the presence of electricity by glowing led or some light. that made up like a pen shape.wheater u can detect both DC and AC by that teser or not. why u don't get a shock while testing through a tester, but we get a electric shock while touching live line. and why it forms a closed loop while testing through a tester . is our body is act as a capacitor or a condoctor .

i will be very happy by getting my answers. thank u sir.
 

Gene

New Member
Sounds like you might be talking about the little neon bulb testers by your description. They are designed to detect AC. The reason you do not get shocked is that there is no filiment in the bulb. In fact, there is no connection between the test leads as the bulb glows by exciting gas in the bulb. Relative to polarity, if you hold one lead tip in your hand and touch the other lead to household AC, the "hot" lead will cause the bulb to glow. The "netural" lead will not. Since I really don't know what kind of tester you have, I don't recommend the above process.

When you get shocked, your body is acting as a conductor. The amount of conductivity is determined by how tight you are holding the hot wire, how well you are grounded (bare footed on a wet concrete floor can kill you), and the amount of sodium / water in your skin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles

Loading
Top