Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Likely stupidly simple questions about power

Status
Not open for further replies.

feetsdr

Care to field these simple questions?

I have a gadget that uses 2 AAA batteries. I want to run it on AC. I have loads of 12v power supplies from external hard drives, old routers, etc.

1) How would you recommend I get 3V out of those 12v power supplies?
2) Or that would cost as much / more than just buying a 3v power supply? From Amazon or is there somewhere else you like? Like this one?

3) And I need a floor pedal / (on-off). again, you guys like amazon? Or is there a place that's cost effective for electronic components / devices?

4) maybe appropriate to ask here? A different project has an electric motor (think sewing machine motor) with a thin shaft. I need to attach a longer rod to it (to effectively extend the length of the motor shaft). Anyone know where you'd get a coupling or similar to connect the motor shaft to the extension. haven't measured both yet, but likely something like 1/8" diameter for each. The extension is only a couple inches.

I am envisioning a sleeve with a hex set screw at each end? I have no idea where to get something like that.

THANKS!!

For the coupling, just search "3mm shaft coupling" on ebay etc.
Examples - rigid:

Flexible, for eg. if the extension has its own bearings:

Imperial sizes are less common, but you should be able to drill a 3mm to 1/8" if needed.

For the 3V unit, what current does it need?

There are numerous versions of buck converter modules available, that could be used - but be aware the power or current ratings in adverts like these are often rather exaggerated, eg. possibly the current they can stand for a fraction of a second. Always use one that is advertised ate 2 - 3 times higher than you actually need!

Also, if a motor is involved, the initial current can be far higher than the measured running current, so you need a power supply that can take at least five times the normal current, for a short time.
This type is OK for very low currents, but I've had one fail at well under 1A...

This style is fine for possibly a couple of amps:

If it's using AAA batteries then the current shouldn't be high and the buck converters linked above should suffice. Do you have a meter to set the output voltage?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back