Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lights on after ignition off

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirrell25

hi all
as the title says
i want to turn some led's on when i turn the ignition off on my van mainly as is so dark in it it is just to lightup the door handles
but i want them to go off after say 20 seconds whats the easyest way to do?
plase bear in mind i am new to this i have put led's in the door handles before but they worked off the lights and i had to leave the lights on and turn them off after
thanks in advance

A 555 timer used as a one shot should work fine. The 555 would monitor whatever voltage line you had nearby that would indicate when the car was turned on, and when it went low it would turn the LED's on for 20 seconds and then off. That much information should give you something to search for on Google unless someone else here with easier familiarity with 555 circuits would care to post one to save you the time.

Easiest way, and most robust way although not elegant, would be an "off delay" timer with one N.O. timed contact and one N.C. instantaneous contact in series with always on 12v for the supply. Feed the coil with any switched ignition source.

A 555 and all the components required to make it work would be half or quarter the cost of an off delay timer. If the timer or your relay fails it'll burst into flames. Easy is relative and since they're new to all this there is no easy solution to begin with.

Last edited:
If your vehicle has a feature called "Retained Power On" aka exit lighting delay, you can add a wire to existing circuit feeding the LEDs after an inline resistor. You won't need very bright LEDs, only two or three LEDs in the handle with a 470-ohm or 180-ohm resistor, respectively.

This might be what you're looking for. It's item #280621263156 from ebay. I tried to post the link but its a mile long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back