Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lighting assistance needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlleyCat67

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before, 20k posts is a lot to dig through for an answer.... but anyway....

I am doing a bus to RV conversion and I purchased some aircraft seats for use in it. I want to use the integrated switches in the armrests in some way. All the wiring and everything for the control panels is still in place, and appears to be in decent condition.

The first need is for a seat lighting system. The switch is a momentary-on switch that I want to use to control an overhead light (just like on an aircraft). The power will be 12VDC across the board. There are three seat positions and there will be a light for each seat.... if there is a way to have one circuit that will control all 3 that would be ideal but if it's gonna be too difficult I can implement 3 of a single position solution.

The seats also have an attendant call switch that I presume works the same way, so this solution can also probably be used to trigger an alert lamp at the driver's position, with a second switch in the circuit to shut it off; however, I'll visit this at another time. I only mention it now since it is similar to my current need and if it only takes a minor modification to the circuit to implement it I can kill two things at once.

Also let me say that I am somewhat knowledgeable in electronics but am by no means an expert, and am also a big believer in the KISS principle (I figure everyone here probably knows what that means, lolz). So please consider that in your responses, thanks!

Hi AlleyCat67,

you might use a decimal (Johnson) counter to switch lights in sequence: 1, 2, 3, 1+2, 1+2+3 - OFF. Use a switch debouncing circuit for the momentary SPST switch and a power stage to control the lights (either power MosFet transistors or relays).

I recommend using a small LED indicator panel for the driver to know which lights are activated.

For the attendance light you'll have to 'OR' all seat mounted switches.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply... however I may not have explained what I want correctly. Let me try again... Left seat switch controls left seat light, center seat switch for center light, right switch for right light. I know this can be done but I'm not savvy enough to do it. Not sure if I need relays of some type to control the lights or if there's an IC that would allow control of multiple lights with one component.

Hi AlleyCat67,

that's exactly what I suggested. The counter can be logically wired to switch on any light (and any combination) using a single pushbutton.

If space is no issue you might use individual light switches.

Hiding the "switchbox" underneath the dashboard makes wiring easier than connecting to switches built into the instrument panel.

Boncuk

Yes, they are individual switches. I took some pictures today in order to better show what I have to work with.

The seat unit as a whole.
**broken link removed**

The individual control panels (3 of them total). My main focus at present is using the two switches to the right in the photo. I would like to use the channel and volume controls for something in the future but that will be addressed at a later time.
**broken link removed**

There is also a connector that I am hoping someone can identify so I can perhaps find a mating connector and not have to hard-wire all this stuff. Sorry the picture isn't better.
**broken link removed**

Text on the connector itself reads as follows:
HUGHES BEE6-24S
There is a number below it that I can't really make out... 85-something

The cable tag reads as follows:
HUGHES/AZ 30571
30063-11 1145598S

It also appears that only 18 of the 24 positions are being used for anything.

Google searches today were less than fruitful, but I didn't have the text at that time. I'll be doing some more research tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back