Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmikejt12

hi, i was replacing bulbs for my nan before and the maximum wattage for the whole thing was 260W if i loaded it with 300W or 400W would it be dangerous?

I just thaught that the bulbs wouldnt be as bright???
but i only loaded it to 200W anyway, just in case

ah, so could it cause a fire? or just blow a fuse?

ok, thanks...
good job i didnt overload it then!!!!

Dr.EM said:
It should blow the fuse, but its not something you'd want to try.

No, it won't blow a fuse, lighting fuses are usually 5A (about 1250W).

The problem generally isn't the wiring, the current difference is really very slight anyway - it's the HEAT generated by the light, it will get too hot for the socket, and it could start discolouring and burning. If there's a shade on the bulb it's even worse, because the shade will get hotter as well.

High wattage bulb holders are usually ceramic, the lower wattage ones are bakelite - and smell horrible when they do over heat!.

but, on the lamp (about 4 bulbs) it has a maximum wattage, does this mean altogether or each one?
my "energy saving" bulb hass gone yellow not the holder, just the bulb.... it starts off dim and then gets quite bright (when i say dim, i mean like just below "normal")

on the main light, there are 2x100w and one 40w (5 bulbs altogether, 1 doesnt work, didnt want to overload it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back