Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LG DR7622W recorder dvd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

avz

Hi
I have a dvd recorder that its problem is this: when I'm putting a new media into it in order to record on it, it has to be initialized. the initializing begins but after about two seconds stops and a message that it can not completed appears and the drawer opens. the media that I use is FUJI DVD+RW. its the with two brand new media's. any ideas?
Thanks.

Usually it's that the laser assembly is duff, and the entire mech usually needs replacing.

Have you tried it with different brands of media, in case those are duff, or it just doesn't like them?.

First off, clean the lense assembly, that's a good place to start. And try different media like Nigel suggested. I got an entire 50 pack of DVD-R's from Philips a ways back that all went bad first appearing to burn properly, was really annoying.

The first thing I did , was to clean the lens (sorry that I didn't mention that) but that didn't helped. the media is brand new. it is a package of five. the first one was completely OK, the second and third didn't initialize.

Going to have to lean towards Nigel's solution at this point, if it's still not reading it at this point your next option is to replace the entire CD head module if it's possible. Considering the price of new recorders in today's market it's probably not worth the time or effort, buy a new unit under warranty and move on.

From my experience, DVD recorders are really rubbish - most tend to have pretty poor lifespans.

Sony did a model called the RDR-GX210, and actually there were two entirely different versions, with no parts in common between them. While it said Sony on the front, they were actually bought from LG - and they were the biggest load of crap you've ever seen :D

They were highly specified, and worked extremely well - for a while - but the DVD mechs in them failed VERY quickly, usually within 9-18 months. The two different versions had two different DVD mechs, and both failed equally promptly.

However, the later RDR-GX350 (don't know who makes it) has been absolutely bomb-proof, with amazing reliability - we've sold hundreds, and never had a faulty one yet.

Last edited:
problem does sound like the optical block assy-depending on model you could try putting the unit into service mode and see what the "jitter" setting is set at??sometimes due to a powersupply fault you do sometimes need to reload the players software but that is nt a regular thing does the unit play an ordinary audio cd and does it read the toc on the disc fairly quickley??if not then change the block or throw away and buy new

LG tends to have the whole mech as a replacement part. most manufacturers don't supply just the optic module anymore, because it's often a pain to do the skew adjustment. LG usually has a small sticker with a square "bar" code with the part number of the drive on the outside of the mech somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back