Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LEDs and how to determine how to to prevent them from blowing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokedCircuit64

Hello again...

So I was helping my son rework the cooling system on his RROD Xbox 360. We added some additional fans to a 5v constant power source and a different heat sink to the GPU. we wired a switch to the fans and an LED so we would know it was running.

Now the fun stuff.. We have blown 3 LEDs. All of them seem to last for a little while, 2 or 3 days. but then they blow.

How can I determine what LED I can use and is there something else I should put between the hot lead and the LED to keep it from blowing?..

The LEDs I was trying to use were pulled from old equipment I had laying around.

Thx,
Kevin

Yes, you need a resistor. A quarter-watt size is fine. For a red led on a 5V supply use 180Ω. For white or blue, use 100Ω, for green or yellow use 120Ω.

This will limit the current to about 20ma.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back