Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hello all... i got asked to do a Simple LED sign. The code i have is simple and not a issue. I wanted to know how the heck i make a PCB from a image? Like ...

I have a simple image.. attached.... Now the read are LEDs... How can i make a PCB or what software can i use that will let me put that image.. (i have a larger one) into the background so i can at least trace it.... or do i have to do it by hand ?

Attachments

• LEDSign.jpg
    LEDSign.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 180
What are the approximate dimensions of the sign and how many total LEDs will there be? If the sign is large, it might be easier and cheaper to using something like a piece of wood or foamboard. Just push the LEDs through and solder wires to the leads on the back side. Then make a smaller power distribution or driver PCB to connect the wires to.

It was needed to be about 10" x 15" ..... 1 More question... i like that foam idea or wood... If i use foam.... do you think constant usage will wither the foam? If i use wood... something thin... Hot Glue should be good enough to hold LEDs on back side you think?

It was needed to be about 10" x 15" ..... 1 More question... i like that foam idea or wood... If i use foam.... do you think constant usage will wither the foam? If i use wood... something thin... Hot Glue should be good enough to hold LEDs on back side you think?

Making a 10" x 15" PCB from copper clad board would be over kill in my opinion. I would definetly go with the foamboard or plywood idea. The LEDs themselves won't put out much heat at all so the foamboard should be OK over time from that respect. You can just poke a hole through the foamboard, stick the tip of the LED through and hot glue it in place from the back side. I would think that would work fine. I haven't any specific experience doing this, it's just my gut feeling and how I would go about trying this project. I'm assuming you're just using normal indicator LEDs and not some crazy super high power LEDs. Plywood is the more durable option obviously and should work just as good as the foamboard. I don't know exactly where you are planning on mounting the sign (i.e. indoors vs outdoors) so the only advice I can really give is how the LEDs will effect the sign material over time. In that respect, I think either option would work just as well.

Another idea if you don't want a bunch of scraggly wires hanging off the back side is to use copper circuit tape like this for the traces. You could bend the leads of the LEDs right over onto the tape traces and solder directly to them. Same with the resistors. I would recommend the wood option if you go with this idea.:D

Last edited:
Yeah cuz solder on foam heh isnt a good idea since it would be so close.. I will most likely use the plywood something thin... Plastic cost too much... but last longer... so i might consider a Plexiglas frame

I agree, there's no need for a PCB. Use chipboard, drill holes for the LEDs, place them, solder the connections and secure with a blob of glue.

What supply voltage are you using?

I'd recommend using as many LEDs in series as you can because it's more efficient, so if you're using 12V and blue LEDs then connect them in banks of three in series.

You could also build it on a sheet of ABS plastic. It's cheap and more durable. Contrast would also be better against the black background.

I was watching this show on TV today and a segment came on where this guy built an LED sign. The method he described sounded eerily familiar. I tracked down the online version because I thought you might be interested. Sorry but you have to watch a crappy advertisement first. :(

**broken link removed**

They will be PIC controlled and will most likely be parallel..... so if 1 LED goes out they work still...

LEDs normally fail short circuit so that shouldn't be a big concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back