Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED SIGN help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so what parts do I need for 60 led or 10 string one. color don't matter please use Radioshack only thank you

Ok well with your 12V wall wart this is what you will need!
Get your 60 LEDs but make them 5mm Red Led's, their voltage drop is 2.0V (typically)
You will need resistors so they don't burn out. Get around ten 100 ohm resistors.

If you can get these parts let me know and I'll teach you how to connect everything up!

How I figured out the R value:

Code:
R = (12V-10V  {5*2V})   /  20mA = 100 Ohm

Don't buy parts at RadioShack because they do not have a clue about electronics.
Their LED is very dim like LEDs were about 40 years ago. It also costs 15 times more than at other places.
They don't say who made it because thay don't know who made it.

Their LEDs might not work with 5 in series with a 100 ohm resistor and a 12V supply.
Because their max voltage is 2.6V each then the total needs at 13V for the LEDs plus 2V for the resistor for a total supply of 15V.

Buying online is often the only realistic choice.

If you do not like buying from ebay vendors use Mouser.com or Digikey.com.

At Mouser you can sort the items by price.

For fancy colors you can get a good idea what LED manufactures the suppliers carry from the online or printed catalog. Then go to the manufactures and look at all the nice colors. Then go back to Newark and Digikey to see if they carry the ones you are interested in.

Last edited:
Kingbright is a Taiwan (Chinese) company.
Are their LEDs any good?

I have ordered a number of displays from the US (via the website) and never had a problem with them. They will also let you order small quantities but do charge $10 extra if you place a small order - I can't remember what the order limit is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back