Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED resistors what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy004

Hi guys I am working on a house number sign made out of LEDs I have blue LED's and according to the LED Calc. here **broken link removed** it says that I should be using 470 ohm resistors if my supply is 12 volts and the diode forward voltage is 3.3 (3.3 is just a guess because the help button on the calc says blue is 3.3 I don't have the spec to the LED). So I just wanted to know instead of using 470 ohms can I use 530 - 540 because I'm actually being kinda cheap and that's all I have is 530's. will it make a huge difference if I go with a higher ohm? your guys help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and if anyone lives in western Canada what is the best and cheapest place to buy electronic components from, internet or retail store?

Thank You

Oh and if anyone lives in western Canada what is the best and cheapest place to buy electronic components from, internet or retail store?

Thank You

If you live in Vancouver. Lees Electronics on Main street is an excellent place for basic electronic componets, for mailorder www.DipMicro.com is good as well. For the big boys Digikey and Newark are good as well, but you will have to pay a bit extra for shipping. DipMicro can order anyhting from newark for a small surcharge and add it to your order with them which is nice. good for the hard to find items that they don't stock.

Thanks for the reply guys, I will look at those retails I use to go to RP Electronics but I think they were a little expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back