Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

Not quite sure, but I have an illuminated switch with an LED. Brightness specs are given "@20mA" and the forward voltage is given as 2.3V. I have a 24VDC supply.

What is a good value for the resistor? 24V@20mA gives me 120 ohms which seems low to me.
Thanks,
Dale

You have a decimal point in the wrong place. It should be 1200 :eek:hm:.

In fact, if you allow for the forward voltage, only 21.7 volts is left across the resistor. So that should be 1085 :eek:hm: to get 20mA

However, you won't loose much brightness at lower currents so you could use 1.5 k:eek:hm: to 2.2 k:eek:hm:. That would also be less likely to damage things if the voltage is a bit above 24V.

If your not to sure how that works out its done like this.

24V(power supply) - 2.3V(the LED's voltage drop) / 0.020(20mA) = 1085ohms

so

24 - 2.3 / 0.020 = 1085

anywhere close to that will be fine

hope this helped you as well

Also note the power disipation of the resistor will be 21.7^2/1200 = 392.4mW so a 1/4W resistor won't do, a 1/2W resistor will work fine.

It may or may not be important for your application, but it dosen't hurt to also add a small ceramic cap (0.01uF or so) across the anode and cathode of the diode. It will help absorb voltage spikes that could be present if the LED was part of a larger system that could be subject to EMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back