Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED marquee (controlled by BASIC Stamp 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesy9999

I know VERY little about electronics, especially microprocessors and programming, but I'll be a freshman majoring in EE next year...so I'm ready to learn! If I say anything stupid please bare with me :)

Here's my idea:

I want to make a licence plate frame that has a small LED marquee built in. I'm not sure how many LEDs would be required, but quite a few I imagine.

This would most likely be controlled by a BASIC Stamp 2 microcontroller. I plan on integrating this into my car so that I will have a BASIC Stamp 2 and a couple buttons controlling various things (via relays) such as neon lighting etc. It will also have a LCD display to navigate, and possibly a keypad. More on that in a minute.

Obviously there aren't nearly enough outputs on the stamp to control each LED, so would I use a bunch of serial to parallel converters or maybe a PIC or what? Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe I culd use the BASIC stamp (which I will have anyway) to send the text to a PIC controller which will decode it and turn on the LEDs.

As for the actual text, I was thinking I could either preprogram a bunch of phrases, OR get some sort of keypad. If I got a standard numeric keypad I'm sure I could program it like cell phones (where you press 2 once for A, twice for B, three times for C, etc), or is it possible to get a small QWERTY keyboard that will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back