Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED illumination for Sith wayfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plurpley

Hi all,

I've just finished making a reproduction of a Sith wayfinder from the latest Star Wars movie, The Rise of Skywalker. Looks great as it is, but it would be even better if I could light it up, just like in the movie! The problem is, I know almost nothing about electronics.

What I'd like to do is have two LEDs - one bright white (or maybe bright green) to provide the main illumination and one red (flashing, to represent the navigational beacon) - connected to a small battery pack to be housed within the wayfinder. I was thinking of using it occasionally like a night-light or display object, and was considering using rechargeable batteries (like Eneloops).

Can anyone help me out with a simple circuit?

20200614_125454.jpg

I'm not sure how much red light you will see through your yellow filter.

green light will be skewed by your yellow filter as well.

using white LED, you'll simply need a switch, a resistor, a white LED and 3.5 to 4.5v of battery power. Put them all in series and flip your switch. For a small 30mA LED (bullet-shaped indicator LED), you'll need about 47 ohm resistor. If you get a higher power LED, you'll need smaller and we can help you. Also, if you use multiple LEDs in parallel, use a Resistor in series with each LED.

Thanks gophert .

It's hard to tell from my poor excuse for a photo, but the translucent panels are actually moss-green in colour. I'm not too concerned about colour-shifting of the LEDs through the green filter (although, admittedly, I hadn't even considered the effect on the flashing red LED until you mentioned it).

The circuit will actually need two LEDs: a white non-flashing LED which will need to be reasonably bright at all angles, as it will be the main source of internal illumination for the wayfinder, and a red flashing LED which can be more directional (in fact, I might even put a housing on it so that it only shines through one of the translucent panels). For the flashing LED, I believe you can buy LEDs with integrated chips that make them flash, is that right? If that's the case, could I simply connect a non-flashing white LED and a flashing red LED in series?

Thanks gophert .

It's hard to tell from my poor excuse for a photo, but the translucent panels are actually moss-green in colour. I'm not too concerned about colour-shifting of the LEDs through the green filter (although, admittedly, I hadn't even considered the effect on the flashing red LED until you mentioned it).

The circuit will actually need two LEDs: a white non-flashing LED which will need to be reasonably bright at all angles, as it will be the main source of internal illumination for the wayfinder, and a red flashing LED which can be more directional (in fact, I might even put a housing on it so that it only shines through one of the translucent panels). For the flashing LED, I believe you can buy LEDs with integrated chips that make them flash, is that right? If that's the case, could I simply connect a non-flashing white LED and a flashing red LED in series?

If you did they would BOTH flash.

Thanks Nigel Goodwin, so how could I make it so that one flashes and one doesn't? Would I have to connect them in parallel rather than in series?

Yes, with independent feed resistors - assuming the LED's need them?, some have them internally, particularly flashing ones, but you can buy normal LED's with them in as well, but it's not really worth bothering.

If you find a flashing red LED without an internal resistor, you can do this. If you find one with a resistor, just remove the 100 ohm resistor.

The white LED needs a resistor but you'll need to pick an LED first. Or you a disassemble a small LED flashlight. That is literally how most Star Wars props are made anyhow. They use a lot of off-the-shelf parts for internals (even externals).

mostly, they mostly use tactical flashlights that are quite powerful but can be turned to flash mode by toggling the switch 2x quickly or 3x for a rapid flash. The lights are not usually used during the actual "take" but used "pre-scene" to poinT where the CGI guys need to put a light or laser flash. Same with the plastic tubes on the lightsabers.

BB791F75-A765-437B-8BBF-EFFBE84DF660.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back