Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmango35

I am looking for high power LED driver.

Input = 110-240 Vac
Output= 5 V dc/1000mA

and DC to DC converter

Input = 6 Vdc
Output = 4-15 Vdc/1000mA.

Is anyone know where I can buy?

Thanks a lot.

:)

led drivers typically aren't specified in voltages. they may list a maximum output voltage, and an input voltage. the metric you should be concerned about with a commercial LED driver is the output current. that is because leds are current-driven devices, not voltage driven.

the first request sounds like any ordinary 5v power supply. I have a bunch of the, they claim to be universal 90-260vac @ 47-70 hz, providing 5vdc @ 1a (most of mine are 2-3a actually)

any good surplus vendor should have those.

the other request is a bit harder, since you're looking for a buck-boost or sepic converter :/

The LED driver you need is the SuperTex HV9910. It was designed to take a 220VAC input.

Yes, I know LED driver should be constant current but I need two difference output output1= 14 Vdc and output2 = 4 Vdc all are 1A. If I use the power resistor for 4 Vdc LEDs, the Resistor getting very hot. Do you have any idea
for using 1 driver for two difference voltage?

Thanks a lot,

anmango35 said:
I am looking for high power LED driver.

Input = 110-240 Vac
Output= 5 V dc/1000mA

and DC to DC converter

Input = 6 Vdc
Output = 4-15 Vdc/1000mA.

Is anyone know where I can buy?

Thanks a lot.

:)
You need constant current not constant voltage!

How many LEDs are you powering and what colour are they?

Have you contacted the LED manufacturer?

They might be able to suggest power supplies for those voltage ratings.

If you want to go for the DIY route then the best option is to look at a SEPIC converter for the DC-DC option and use a small mains transformer with a switching regulator on the output for the mains version. It is possible to build switching regulators that run directly from the mains but it isn't recommended unless you have lots of experiance.

The reason I'm asking for difference voltage is PWM. I build PWM by LM317T.
It's very hot if I use LED driver V-output = 18 V. Do you have any circuit to build PWM to control The LEDs (current output for LEDs should be 1000mA).

LEDs Spec:

5W-Red; Vin = 2.8V/1A
5W-Green; Vin = 3.95V/1A
5W-Blue; Vin=3.8V/1A
5W-White; Vin = 3.8V/1A

All four color are in one Package.

More information about LED please go to:

www.ledengin.com

Thanks

The LM317 does no PWM, it is a linear regulator.

5V does not give you enough headroom for a LM317.

Also, you need three channels, each LED needs 1A and needs powering individually.

No offence intended but do you know what PWM is?

The term 'PWM' seems to get thrown about a lot these days.

Google knows a lot about it:https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=PWM&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Why do you want PWM?

The chances are, it would be a lot more efficient to use a switching constant current regulator and vary the current to vary the brightness.

There is also lots of stuff to be found on Google:https://www.google.com/search?clien...ng+regulator&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thanks for your information. as a matter of fact I understand what PWM is. That's why I need a circuit to build for controling RGB LED.

There are R-G-B-G LEDs. Totally is 15W/14V/1A. All-in-one Package (one big LED have four dices inside). If I change current or Voltage (by PWM) for each individual LED I'll have difference color. If I turn on all four dice at the same current and same time I'll have White color.

Thanks a lot for your Pictures.

that project should help you then, just need to add another regulator for the second green

the earlier suggestion of a switchmode driver with a dimming input would be ideal - if you have a decent budget, you could pick up one of these:

https://www.ledsupply.com/04016.php

it's a quad output constant current (switch mode) driver that supports the DMX protocol for stage lighting control

or you could just buy the regulators and feed them pwm from your existing control system

https://www.ledsupply.com/03023-d-n-1000.php

Good, that's probably the best way to go.

Is it a switching regulator?

That looks expensive but it's probably worth it as it will do exactly what you want and more.

95% is its peak efficiency which occurs when the input-output differential is very low; it's more efficient to convert 5V to 3.5V than it is to convert 32V to 3.5V.

I don't like the idea of connected LEDs in parallel without balancing resistors (see datasheet) but there again I suppose those LEDs must be so well made that they have exactly the same series resistance and voltage drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back